Best truck for first vehicle

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by elephant16, Aug 27, 2002.

1. elephant16

elephant16 New Member

What would be a good truck with decent off road capability for 3000.00-2000.00 range. Im wanting something i can drive around without having to spend 30 dollars a day on gas. So decent gas milage would be considerd. Also i would like to have it able to drive through loose sand and maybe across water. Any ideas. a jeep looks like its out of my price range. it would have to last at least 2 or 3 years until i get out of school and get a job. btw this would be my first real vehicle ( i have 2 others never got them registerd to drive on the road becouse they are junk) im 16 and probaly will be hard on whatever i get so it would have to be pretty rugid. Any ideas???? o btw i live in louisiana so mud and such would be a daily occurence.

there is also option 2

a decent on road vehicle that would be mildly quick and still be good on gas. ( option 1 is preferd but im worried i cant find anything for that price

2. wfo

wfo "Delivers Ultimate Traction"

ford ranger, any year from '93 on

3. idontgiveashit

idontgiveashit I eat rice

S10s are also fairly durable/cheap on gas/parts

4. elephant16

elephant16 New Member

how much would a 4wd run me? I know the ford rangers and s10s are probaly really cheap 2wds but i kinda wanted a 4wd. my moms explorer has a 4.0 v6 and it had really good pick up i wonder if any ford rangers came with that motor?

5. katabrat

katabrat Guest

Why yes they do,I think its a good motor,I would NOT get any S-10,what a piece of crap,I had one,stick with the 4.0 ranger 4x4,good truck for the money.

6. Wolvrin704

Wolvrin704 Guest

The Ranger and S10's are both ok choices but if you can find a Toyota in your price range get it. The only thing to look for is anything made in 92 or earlier will have a problem with the bed rusting along the welded seam they have halway up the side. In 93 they finally took care of that.

7. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

Jeep Comanche 4.0

8. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

i second the s10 truck or blazer dirt cheap for parts can swap a v8 into them the 4.3s are rock solid the 2.8s suck easy to work on and have decnt power with teh 4.3

9. austynn2001

austynn2001 Guest

Ford ranger or bronco 2 . chevys are crap. dont even consider a chevy. you will not like it.

10. Wolf

Wolf No one plans to take the path that brings you lowe

89+ Jeep Cherokee XJ 4.0L.

11. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

Tacoma. Will last forever.

12. demonstalker

demonstalker My lugnuts require more toque than your honda make OT Supporter

s-10 or blazer...4wd.....4.3...will be good for ya

13. Zimmy76

Zimmy76 I like my beer like I like my violence, domestic

For 2-3 grand I think you will be hard pressed to find a 4.0 4X4 ford ranger in decent condition--at least you would be here.

I have a 99 3.0 4X4 and it doesn't have great get up and go but it can when you get after it. What I'm trying to say is that the 3.0 isn't as great as the 4.0, but it can do the job.

I'd suggest looking for a 4.0 XJ, or YJ--you will have to look for awhile before you find a good one imo.