Best Tablet PC Laptop?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by austynn2001, Nov 25, 2004.

1. austynn2001

austynn2001 Guest

We are looking at some for my mom for christmas because that is what she does for a living and we are wondering what the best possible one is that can be most upgraded. We are looking for at least one gig of ram and a large harddrive with a good video card and sound card and all that crap. money is really not that big of a concern thanks.

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

tablet pc's are junk in general.

what does your mom do that you think is good for a tablet? Also, a tablet is NOT for gaming, so a good video card is likely worthless.

3. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

A tablet is probably the only notebook I would consider, since it's the only kind on which I'd be able to take notes in class.

Assuming you want to spend a little money, go with a Motion Computing one. They're the shit.

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

fwiw, I test-drove a few tablets, and found that they were poor at "note-taking". They only seemed to excel in proprietary or very task-specific operations such as hospitals and drive thru's (In-n-out uses em) and only when coupled with a gui designed specifically for use on a tablet.

5. gutterslide

gutterslide Guest

wow. lots of sound advice in this thread. :/

you'll get better advice here. http://www.tabletpcbuzz.com/forum/

tabletpcs kick ass, if you need what they offer. especially w/ XP Tablet PC Edition and Office 2003 w/OneNote. also Microsoft is currently offering a free upgrade to "2005 Edition".

6. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

My boss has a Motion Computing one and I've played around with it. Didn't try out the handwriting recognition, but I like the notebook thing that it comes pre-loaded with and I found it to be pretty handy. I could definitely see myself using one, but at the price I'll stick to pencil and paper for now.

7. pookrat

pookrat OT Supporter

I use the Compaq/HP TC1000 and TC1100. TC1000 = Junk. Stay away. The TC1100 is not bad at all. They made all the necessary improvements to it. Most noteably it uses a "real " procesor now. It has a decent video card. Can go to 2 Gigs of RAM. 80 Gig HD. I like using it when I have the need. Thats all I got to contribute.