Best sub-$1000 laptop with longest battery life/least weight?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by TMh2QkPU, Jun 11, 2005.

1. TMh2QkPU

TMh2QkPU Guest

Which would you recommend? My Averatec 3200 series died, so I need a replacement :hs:

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you won't find a great notebook for that cheap.

3. TMh2QkPU

TMh2QkPU Guest

I need the best I can possibly get :hs:

4. stoliohranj

stoliohranj beautiful fucking tits man

some people are on a budget you know.

to the thread starter, i don't know. i need to look into the same thing here. my laptop got fried in a lightening storm monday night.

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

uh, duh. wtf is wrong with you? It's obvious he's on a budget, but he's also a fucking ignorant dumbass.

He just asked for the fastest, best, smallest laptop...... and it has to be under $1000.

First of all, you will not even get a "fast" notebook under $1000.

You will not get the "best" notebook (whatever the fuck that is) under $1000.

You will never get the "smallest" notebook under $1000.

So now what exactly is he looking for? Well, lets start with notebooks under $1000. You're already severely limited. You've single-handedly knocked out IBM, Asus, and Apple -- the only three manufacturers that really make a notebook worth looking at. But lets look at what's left... Dell. Ugh. Gatway. Meh. Toshiba. Double-Ugh. etc...

Okay, so of what's left, we're going to look towards size. You won't find anything "small"... So lets try to be a little more general -- something that isn't HUGE. Okay, we can do that. Lets try a 14" screen.

Okay, now fast. Well, this could be a problem. But lets try. Pentium M, of course. This will help performance and battery life. But now we start to find oxymorons. In order to be "fast" we need a 5400rpm drive. But doing so sacrifices battery life. What do we choose? How about cpu? We can go faster, but then we spend more and our battery life drops. Decisions. Decisions.

So lets go with the SLOWEST Pentium M processor available... 1.6GHz
    Lets stick with XP Home to save some cash.
    Lets stick to the default warranty... Although this would be the first thing I'd upgrade.
    512MB is a must, now-a-days. But we'll do 2x256 to save some cash. Remember, you lose upgradability doing this, however.
    We'll go with a 40GB 4200RPM drive. Small, but large enough to work. Slow, but cheap and good on battery life.
    DVD-ROM/CD-RW drive... It's a must
    No frills. No extras.

That puts you at $1018. So you're pretty close to your budget. It's a Dell 600m. It's not the greatest machine, but it's not the worst. It's a run-of-the-mill notebook that does what it needs to, even if it's nothing to brag about.

Take it for what it is. I think it's the best you'll find in your price range.

6. stoliohranj

stoliohranj beautiful fucking tits man

wow, despite the overtones of superiority, you actually answered his question. i'm proud of you. good boy.

7. Derrict

Derrict No, I am not Amish OT Supporter

8. badguy106

badguy106 Location:Tn

dude, your one fucked up individual.

9. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

He is, but I like him :bigthumb:

And he is also right. Unless he wants to build his own, thats about his only option.

10. TMh2QkPU

TMh2QkPU Guest

:ughwerd: :hsugh: