best stock truck for muddin'

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Trinidad, Jul 27, 2006.

1. Trinidad

Trinidad New Member

hey guys first post...:)

i'm lookin for a truck 2 do little mods or none but still able to tear it up in the fields any recommendations, i was thinkin a duramax diesel but i think you guys probably have more experience and could help me choose more wiser

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

honestly, I love the duramax, but it's not the greatest offroad vehicle. It weighs WAY too much, especially in the front.

Is this gonna be a daily driver, too? Stick to gas trucks. The Dodge Power Wagon is very respectible if you want to keep something "stock", as they've already built it with offroad in mind. Otherwise, if you like the Chevy/GMC products (I do) then get a 2500 with the 6.0L Vortec motor. It's got a beefier transmission and rear-end when compared to the 1/2 ton. You could also do the F-250 -- again gas V8 engine. The F-250 is damn slow with the 5.4L V8, but it's a good motor and won't give you any problems. The F-250 is also dirt cheap to lift about 3". Of all the 1/2 ton trucks, I like the Titan the most. I bought a Tundra, instead, however, due to hit-or-miss reliability reports. CST makes a great lift for the Titan... And I think it's the cheapest of the 1/2 trucks right now, except for maybe the dodge on employee-pricing.

Those are all fullsize trucks, since you mentioned duramax. The tacoma and frontier (I prefer frontier) are also excellent choices.

Honestly, most any truck will do mild to intermediate terrain and be pretty good at it.

What exactly are you looking for?

3. sprite

sprite Active Member

I'll second the Power Wagon. When I was researching pickups whenever the topic of off-road capability came up the Power Wagon was at the top of the list. I believe it is the only production pickup with factory electronic lockers both front & rear. Plus it includes a 12Klb Warn winch, 33" AT T/A tires, and 4.56 gear ratio (I wouldn't want to feed gas to it but it must pull like a mother fucker).

4. Trinidad

Trinidad New Member

Well i want to get something that will have power and some performance and i do prefer chevrolet (i love the old Z71's and suburban) i live in a small town where there's just little stuff nothing big that you would need major mods to it but i will be driving it everday so dodge doesn't get good mileage so that's out but i will be hauling stuff like when winter comes i usually haul some christmas trees and now i don't do as much as i do in winter but i still need to be able to haul a lot when i need to

5. RRated

RRated New Member

F250 Diesel

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

as I mentioned, RRated, the diesel is a BAD choice. Way too much weight.

The 6.0L Silverado/Sierra 2500 is your best bet. Obviously, gas mileage isn't great with this either, however, and the Z71 package (just some stickers and a 46mm shock) is not available on the 3/4 ton trucks. However, you get a better motor, beefier trans, and bigger rearend when compared to the 1/2 ton. Throw on some aftermarket shocks (such as Bilstein 5100's) and you've beat the Z71 package.

7. IslanderOffRoad

IslanderOffRoad Do you even lift kit? OT Supporter

Buying a muddin truck and thinking about gas mileage are two things that dont go together

solution:

buy a slightly used truck, and a ford aspire.

8. Tundra_Jim

Tundra_Jim New Member

78-85 Toyota... they came stock with a solid front axel, throw some decent mud tires on it and go to town..

Then get a different vehicle for daily driving...

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

it's a weight concern. The diesel is too heavy. Fuck the v10. Shitty gas mileage and the power is worthless when mudding (and it's still heavier). The 5.4L is plenty of power for mudding around. There's no traction when mudding so it doesn't take much to spin the wheels.

10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Leave it to a yota sackrider to recommend a 20-30 year old truck.

The stock yotas arn't that great stock. You need to mod them. And good luck finding a STOCK yota of those years that is in GOOD condition that costs less than you could get a new F250 for. :rolleyes: Not to mention the F250 is a hell of a lot nicer truck.

11. affende

affende Resident 4X4 Elitest Prick

~ '83 toyota with chromo front and rear axles rear is good up to about 40" tire...weld the rear and lunchbox the front.

still cheaper than anything else.

12. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

not doubting you but...a 40 inch tire, and with a welded rear ??? Sound like a toy axle about to snap into little chips. Unless there is something great about the earlier Taco Trucks (besides for the SFA). From my knowledge most toy axles start to put the pressure on @ a 35" tire at most. Clear me in a little

13. IslanderOffRoad

Most axles short of a 9" or Dana 60 start to cringe on 35's

14. jdmlude2000

jdmlude2000 New Member

I drive a 3/4 chev w/6.0 and 33s it works great as long as you dont mind lifting your rig.

15. affende

the after market axles for the toyota 8" (chromoly rears and chromoly / 300M front with longfield joints [longfieldsuperaxles.com]) have been standing up to 40"+ tires in competition for a few years now...and if they can stand up to comp abuse (locked font and rear with full hydro steering) then they can stand up to just about anything the public can throw at them.

my yota had 35s with a welded rear on stock axles and they held up fine till the rear bearing seized and striped the splines off the axle and the carrier.

trust me....if there is one thing i know, its toyota axles...i have done years worth of research.

and what i was saying, and obviously failed to get across, was that you can get a yota truck and get stronger aftermarket drivetrain components to beef it up for less than you can build anything else. there is a massive production of aftermarket parts for yotas...making them cheap.

16. IslanderOffRoad

You're talking aftermarket and I'm talking stock.

Once the aftermarket is in play, all bets are off on longevity.

17. affende

explain?

stock? get a rubicon...44s front and rear with discos will work fine with 35s...hell...if you arent retarded, you could make it live with 37s

18. IntheWorks

IntheWorks windin film.. takin pics Moderator

if it's for straight mud, no need to get a truck with a SFA(unless you plan on lifting it.). I'd stay away from the 6.0 in the chevy, they're well known for piston slap. I'd honestly just buy an older (mid 80's-late 90's) chevy or ford truck...

19. jdmlude2000

jdmlude2000 New Member

piston slap is NOT detrimental to your motor and well i think its better then the last gen 5.3

20. Mongoose87

Mongoose87 New Member

21. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

lol....yes. actually i don't have much of an opinion. a 1987 Custom Deluxe with some 31's and a 350 or a stovebolt would work fine. I'm betting you could find one already lifted with tires for 5k. Then get a nicer DD.