Best Sound Quality Amps?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Ronin, Apr 28, 2005.

1. Ronin

Ronin Guest

I am thinking Zapco and have yet to see/hear of a better amp, the only thing with those amps is their incredibly high price tag (atleast in aspect to other companys) besides Zapco, who makes some killer amps?

Oh and I almost forgot, McIntosh makes car amps as well and they are also very very expensive.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2005
  2. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

PPI seems to be fairly highly regarded. I'm beginning to wonder if all properly designed amps sound basically the same. This is within the solid state category anyway. It seems that most people can't tell an audible difference between high end amps, but when subjected to psychological listening tests, may have different emotional reactions to different amplifiers, even if they cannot hear any difference. That would be an interesting way to test amplifiers, study the emotional response elicited while listening.

3. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

There is no sound quality difference in the amp section. Just get a good one that offers ample power and has the signal processing options you want.

4. Ronin

Ronin Guest

hmm, in the future i may be doing SQ competitions, should i worry about such a "quality" of amp then?

5. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

Dont worry about any so called SQ of the amp in your decision.

Heck if you're going to compete I'd just find a set of amps with good build quality and a lot of power then go with outboard processing.

You really cant go wrong with Zapco if you can afford them. I :love: Zapco amps. Lots of power, balanced inputs and ohh so sexy looks in a completely non bling way.

6. Ronin

Ronin Guest

thank you for future money savings.

7. thisgsx

thisgsx New Member

nakamichi

8. veonake

That's a little bit overgeneralized. At least presented in a way that sounds too factual for what is really just a strong opinion.

9. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

you could always take the double blind test to prove him wrong... and win a chunk of change.

10. veonake

... Did you not read my earlier post about audible differences? Don't you think I was referring to double blind? Do you truly think that this is an open and shut case in the audio world? There are MANY people that strongly believe that there are audible differences in amps despite double blind tests, and it's not like all those people are quacks. I am personally in the middle of both sides, believing that amplifiers do sound different, but not hugely and double blind may not be the way to test for that difference.

I'm sorry man, but the statement "There is no sound quality difference in the amp section" is opinion, not fact. I have an article for you to read:

http://www.printthis.clickability.com/pt/cpt?action=cpt&title=Stereophile%3A+God+is+in+the+Nuances&expire=&urlID=8643918&fb=Y&url=http%3A%2F%2Fstereophile.com%2Ffeatures%2F203%2Findex.html&partnerID=3834

Read that in its entirety and then get back to me. You are treating this issue way too simplistically.

P.S. In the future, try not to come off as a smartass and I won't come off as a jerk to you.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2005
  11. denim

denim New Member

I personally feel the SQ of the new Orion amplifers are very good. I have also read about the good performance of the new MB Quart amplfiers

12. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

I read as far as to finish the study and once again your camp has taken my statements far beyond their scope. That study did not prove anything about the amplifiers in question. The signal source in the three systems was not even of the same class. While in a sense it was a properly conducted study, it possibly proved there is sonic differences between high end systems. No one is disputing that. It did not even begin to address being able to separate sonic differences between the amplifiers. The article more touched on sonic differences between recording mediums than between amplifiers.

Signal processing definitely can and does color the final sound output. It it surprising how different two sets of speakers can sound if the only difference between the two is the crossover design.

The thread starter stated he wishes to compete with his system in the future. I submit that if he runs outboard processing (I recommend because it offers the greatest flexibility in tuning) his system will have the greatest capability if he is able to power it with a set of amplifiers that can drive the speakers to their fullest without straying out of their linear operating range. Switching to another set of amps that are also able to do this will not affect the sound quality at all.

13. veonake

If I remember correctly the article went into much further detail on amps in particular after the study. Isn't the study only like 5 pages into it or so? Was a while ago when I read it.

"it possibly proved there is sonic differences between high end systems. No one is disputing that. It did not even begin to address being able to separate sonic differences between the amplifiers."

Aren't you saying two conflicting things there? If there are sonic differences, then you would be affected by them in some way, whether it be pscyhologically or auditorally (sp?). Anyway, I'm not sure if I will have internet access for the next couple days, so I'll check back later.

14. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

A system is made up of a whole lot more than just an amp, so no I'm not contradicting myself.

I didn't read the whole thing because I couldnt spend that much time at work.

15. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

just my 2 cents, the older ppi amps were great... they put out a huge amount of clean power... the newer DEI ones have a lot of issues with quality control, i've installed a few at work and had a few be dead out of the box. my coworker warrentied his older 4chan ppi and got one of the newer ones and it was dead directly from dei.

16. chaggot

chaggot New Member

I've got an Arc Audio 2500cxl and it goes great with my IDMax. thinking about selling it too. let me know if you're interested.

17. Ronin

Ronin Guest

itll be awhile before ill need a big amp, i suspect 2 grand going to front stage.

18. veonake

Where do you find the money for this man? lol. Aren't you like 17?

19. Ronin

Ronin Guest

17 with 26 Gs in the bank :naughty:

well most of thats for college, but the rest is for pissing around with stuff "i need" ie expensive hobbies like audio

i could always sell my dirtbike also and get a couple Gs from that

you should help me out on my concept system idea thread, i could use some guidance

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2005
  20. veonake

well, that tells me that you have money (which I assumed already), but that doesn't tell me the source lol. Where does a 17 year old get 26K, some of which isn't for college?

21. Ronin

Ronin Guest

elderly father who was a veteran got me social security since birth, it increased when he died. i get 400 a month and take 200 of it for spending money. been doing that for about 6 months. i get social security until i graduate HS i believe. and i keep getting it even with an income, so its like having a 5 grand bonus every year.