Best Setup for $1000-$1200

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by DJ Cripsen, Dec 6, 2008.

1. DJ Cripsen

DJ Cripsen New Member

Nov 16, 2003
    I pretty much have to piece my home theater together because I am living overseas. My original plan was to buy Onkyo's HTIB the 6100 for $600 but they will not ship it overseas. So now I have to order piece by piece.

I want to have a 7.1 Setup and the amount of bass it produces does matter because I am living in dorms and apartments for the next couple of years and I dont want to disturb the neighbors. I've been looking at getting the Onkyo
    TX-SR706 but that does not leave me with much money for other speakers. I really want to get a receiver with THX though. Can you recommend some receivers and speakers that would fit my budget?
  2. amill94

amill94 Well-Known Member OT Supporter

Oct 5, 2003
    THX certification is bullshit...don't worry about it. It really means nothing. Spend as much as you can on the receiver since that is one of the most important parts. If you have to just go with a stereo setup for now until you can afford to get a center, sub and rears. Check out the Yamaha RXV563 and 663 receivers. They are pretty decent for the price point.