best router for the buck

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by zero xeal, Feb 19, 2004.

1. zero xeal

zero xeal Guest

i am sick of my stupid linksys befsr41(i have the older model to), its really just starting to piss me off.

im well aware of some make your own router OS's like smoothwall, but who thinks what is good as far as a OS rotuer and a hardware router.

i myself have started to look twards cisco, but cisco is so god damn expensive.....

your opinions please.....

2. MP

MP New Member

well i was gonna suggest linksys. I've never had a single problem with them. :-\

ummm, d-link i hear is pretty good :dunno:

3. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Linksys works great for me. I had the one you have but I use the wireless one now and they both have worked fine.

All routers are pretty much the same except for the company who makes them.

4. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

I have that linksys with the LATEST firmware and it works fine. The older version of firmware are crappy. Make sure you update to the latest firmware before you give in.

5. zero xeal

zero xeal Guest

i have the older mode. the newer model bsrf41 has more stuff, like dyn dns, and junk, and the fact that neither of them have any sort of fire wall, and only log the last 150 or so connections bothers me, i want something that does literly to much stuff.

6. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

Check out Netgear. I had a linksys 4 port wireless router for about a year and it crapped out on me. So I needed something quick and Netgear was all that was instock. Picked it up and read up on them. Very good for the price range. Same performance as the linksys except it has alot better range. Where I got poor signals with the linksys, I get good or excellent with the Netgear. As far as firewall they all have the basic NAT firewall, and you can control what computers can use the router, and it has wep and the basic shit they all have.

7. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

All routers have some sort of a firewall built-in. They simply block most of the ports except for the web and e-mail. You will have to manually enable others ports for other connections to your machine.

I don't think you are going to find what you are looking for only in a router. You will probably need a software-based firewall to do all the stuff you want.

8. Scoob_13

Scoob_13 Anything is possible, but the odds are astronomica

Netgear is the only way to go unless you're going to go with a better switch.

Go to CompUSA and get the Netgear MR814 Wireless + 4port Cable/DSL router. $29 after rebates. Awesome router as well, and with Netgear you can't go wrong.

Netgear MR814 @ CompUSA

9. zero xeal

zero xeal Guest

i think im gonna build a new computer, with some older amd proc a bit of ram, a few nics, and instead of a hard drive alot of flash/ram junk, and ill just throw smoothwall, or something similar on it, hell mabey ill throw freebsd on it make a router of it that way.
    im getting sick of alot these off the shelve models.

10. MattIROC

MattIROC has a semi nice av. changed due to rules :(

I'm with Impreza and amill on netgear. I have the Netgear MR814 and it works perfect. We have 3 different brands of wireless cards working off it, and they all work great. Never had a problem with it, and have had it for over a year now. Microsoft card, Linksys, and D-Link cards all working off it.

11. zero xeal

zero xeal Guest

goal is to have it do good firewalling, so ima make it myself, and mabey "borrow" a cisco :)

12. John

John Guest

SMC is shit!

13. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

Friend of mine works at Best Buy. They took apart a Linksys, Netgear, and something else (not sure if it was SMC or not). Word was all the boards looked almost the same except for slight differences from packaging. And the chips were all made by D-Link. Go figure...

Either way, I'm on my 2nd Linksys. First one got a little flakey, but for some reason works very well with a friend of mine. I handed it off to him since I picked up a wireless Linksys one. Just update the firmware and give it a whirl.

Buy Linksys and in theory, you're buying a Cisco device or is it D-Link?

14. skinjob

skinjob Active Member

Another vote for Netgear. I had a Linksys 8-port router with a WAP attached to it. The router frequently locked up when downloading large files over the wireless connection. I tried a Linksys wireless router, and it locked up at random and needed to be power cycled to get running again. Both of these routers had the latest and greatest firmware. Returned the Linksys and got the Netgear MR814, and it has worked flawlessly.

15. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

I've been pleased with my D-Link router. I think this is the first Router thread that hasn't bashed D-Link.

16. zero xeal

zero xeal Guest

my goal is to buy a cisco, thoguh ciscos are so fucking much, im just annoyed with how most off the shelf ones dont offer as much as a i want.