Best Quality Sub/Amp combo for under $500

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by wongerbonger, Dec 1, 2003.

1. wongerbonger

wongerbonger New Member

for a 1998 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer Edition?

2. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

3. wongerbonger

wongerbonger New Member

4. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

Soundstream makes very good amps. They are just on clearance, that is why they are so cheap. And that particular 12" sub has about equal output to a JL audio 12W7. I promise you won't be dissapointed if you get that sub. Read the reviews of it on the website, and visit the eD forum and ask questions/search the forum. One person on there said that his single 12A has more output in his ported box, than his friends two JL Audio 12W3's.

5. wongerbonger

wongerbonger New Member

so just one of those subs is enough to power the e12a ?

what about the e15a ?

6. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

:confused:

Do you mean one of those amps? Yes, they will power it just fine. As far as the 15A, I would get the 880 watt amp for that one. Actually I would probably get the more powerful amp for either the 12 or 15.

BTW, I spoke with eD yesterday about the 15A and they said they should have backorders filled within the next couple of weeks, and they should be taking new orders sometime before Christmas. So if you want one of those, you won't have to wait very long.

7. wongerbonger

wongerbonger New Member

Well, would the JBL 1200.1 power teh 15a better?

8. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

No, the 1200.1 would be a bad choice. It puts out max power @ 2 ohm, the 15A is a dual 2 ohm voice coil sub, you would either have to run it at 4 ohm, or 1 ohm. If the 1200.1 is 1 ohm stable you can use it, but it will draw more current and be harder on your electrical system. Find an amp that puts out max power @ 4 or 1 ohm and you will be fine, unless you plan on getting two subs. Or call eD and inquire about a special order on a dual 4 ohm voice coil sub, Ben, the owner of eD asked how much interest there would be in making dual 4 ohm voice coil A series subs (8A excluded, it's already dual 4 ohm vc) he said it would cost a bit more, but it is possible. You might get them to make you one so you can use it with that amp.

9. 04

04 Guest

Yes the JBL 1200.1 is stable into 1ohm. It will be just as hard on your electrical system as another amplifier rated at 1200 watts that has a similar efficiency. I wouldnt be surprised though if the 1200.1 @ 4ohms is enough power to get the ed to full excursion in a larger box.

10. tryfuhl

tryfuhl New Member

Forget a jbl 1200.1....

11. tryfuhl

tryfuhl New Member

whoops didn't mean to be a dick n just leave that....

www.infinitecaraudio.com

www.sounddomain.com

from the first site....phoenix gold tantrum 1200.1....get sounddomain to price match it = warranty = yay.....

then get your edesign a....or one of several other subs...

12. 04

04 Guest

Could you please give a reason as to why the 1200.1 is bad?

You wouldnt like it if I said to forget the PG, would you?

13. Area_51

Area_51 Guest

I'm getting a Boss Audio C450 for 199 + tax which is a 600 Watt 2 Channel amp including a bass control system already included.

Also I just bought 1 MTX 10'' 6104 Subwoofer for 119 including a 10'' Subwoofer Box.

And this was all in Canadian Funds
    If I were you go to www.futureshop.com its a Canadian Store so you can get things really cheap online if your dealing with USD.

Also Futureshop is highly recommended, I bought tons of things online and most of the time they offer free shiping!

14. tryfuhl

tryfuhl New Member

I think that we both know the answer to this (or should)

Pop open one of those JBL's when you get a chance....

Too many of my friends (who knew what they were doing...including those who I helped install) had issues with their JBL amps...they ranged from just shoddy labeling on the settings to other problems, the main one having power supplies burn up constantly...it's really not worth the trouble in my opinion...

15. denim

denim New Member

even though they are great subs there have way to many glue faiulres on the EDA's, between the cone and the voice coil, I would pass on them until that probelm is corrected, same with the IDMAX, also an excellent sub, but too many failures

16. 04

04 Guest

Ok, but I thought we were talking about the 1200.1? Was the 1200.1 the amplifier your friends had problems with? And who cares about what the inside of the amplifier looks like, you cannot determine an amplifier's performance by how it looks....

17. DG PiMp

DG PiMp Guest

MTX 500d amp (running in 1 ohm) and kicker solobaric L7 = $200 and sounds great!

18. yc241

yc241 Guest

where do u get those for 200 bucks? id be so in at that price.

19. tryfuhl

tryfuhl New Member

yes it is the one that i'm talking about...though i saw it on the multi-channel amps more often....

who cares? personally i'd like to see some decent looking components in my amp...not some scaled down wimpy version