best provider for midwest(saint louis)/south area?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by V, Jun 7, 2004.

1. V

V Corrupt and Immoral

i currently have att tdma service. its not really cutting it for me. i live most of the year in saint louis. during the summer im in nashville, but that may change next year since im graduating. so, any saint louis people, who is the best provider? how is att gsm? what would you recommend? thanks.

2. percent

percent deluded

Hi,
    I live in so.co. stl, go to school at slu (in the city), and my dad lives in maryland heights (just past westport). I have att gsm and think the coverage is fine. There are a few spots where i always cut out (basements on campus, this one road for like a mile), but overall i would give it a A. Also att and cingular just merged and my att coverage is supposed to have doubled as of this month (i havnt noticed huge changes, but now its free coast to coast instead of just most cities/highways and suck) Sprint = teh suck. Some friends have it and no one i know like it. Cingular is merging att, verizion is supposedly real good in the city but no so hot in rural areas (the drivers at my moms work use verizion and are having problems so they are switching to att, my mom uses ver. in the city/county area alone and has no problems.)

hope that helps.

cliff notes: i am happy with at&t gsm

3. percent

percent deluded

oh yea - thought i would throw in i use a siemens m56. phones have different capabilities sometimes.

4. V

V Corrupt and Immoral

very helpful thank you. yeah, my friends have sprint too and they say it sucks. so i guess it comes down to att or verizon or tmobile. i like att i guess cause now its no roaming right? like anywhere that it would roam, they dont charge you? and also my mom lives in bozeman, MT, and my current att tdma has no service there, and it looks like the att gsm does cover that area which is good. so i think ill probably get att gsm. know any differences between the phones? like which ones get better reception?

5. Aero277

Aero277 OT Supporter

I Live in Columbia and use T-Mobile.....It's awesome, I've rarely found a place where I got no reception.

6. percent

percent deluded

i dont really know about the new phones - the siemens was supposed to be one of the better ones when i bought it. try cnet reviews for cell phones http://reviews.cnet.com/Cell_phones/2001-3504_7-0.html?tag=ont.cp

cnet normally has alot of useful info. and to ans you other question yes, with att i can now go anywhere in the us and never get charged roaming.

7. wake_o

wake_o New Member

alltel maybe?

8. Hurst_CE

Hurst_CE Guest

Cingular 6800 works great with gsm for my cingular service. I find there data internet service to be great. I dont care for there voice service. I also have nextel I dont use any data service but DC and voice is 100% better then anything i have had. And there service is great. The activation blows tho.