best projector under $3500

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by kumar_a, Jun 5, 2003.

1. kumar_a

kumar_a Well-Known Member

I am looking to spend around $5000 on my new media room. I am estimating a decent fixed screen will be about $500 and a surround sound system will be around $1000. That leaves me $3500 for the front projector.

I just started doing some research so I dont know too much about front projectors. Seems like DLP > LCD. Also, the higer the resolution and lumens, the better. I am also going to have an HDTV setup so whatever the projector, it needs to be HDTV compatible.

So far I have found one that seems to be pretty decent. Here it is:

Sharp Notevision PG-M20X

I depended on OT to buy my new digital camera. Now I need your help again. Any recommendations?

2. kumar_a

kumar_a Well-Known Member

3. Caffeine Slug

Caffeine Slug Member

The popular projector right now with home theater forums seems to be the Infocus X1. The specs aren't quite as good as what you posted (iirc, 1000 lumens & 800x600), but it's only $999. For the price, it's supposed to be great, and it seems to be converting quite a few people from RP to FP. You can also build your own screen for much less than the cost of a new one - once you get to the bigger sizes, decent screens are fairly expensive to buy.

When you say your surround sound system will be about $1000, what exactly is that money covering? Receiver + speakers?

4. 04

04 Guest

5. 04

04 Guest

I would reccomend adjusting your budget though...

I don't know how much of a audio/videophile you are, but I would suggest spending a bit less on the projector and more on the audio.

And you can make really nice screens for less than 100.