WEB Best procedure to handle user submitted photos?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Mikey, Aug 24, 2007.

1. Mikey

Mikey This one, this form I hold now, so Wide eyed and h

I'm building a fan site for a certain band. I want to have a form where people can submit pics from the concerts they've been to, but I'm not sure the cleanest way to do it. Code wise, I'm fine. I plan to code it in php and have no problem with that, but I want to have some kind of security/approval so some kid doesn't goatse the damn gallery.

I was thinking of 2 different ways to do this..

1. I have an email form that they can attach photos to and send to me. I then approve them and put them in the correct directory.

2. I have a form that they fill out, select the concert date, then upload. I check for a dir already created for that date, if not I create one and dump the images to it and it's done.

the first way seems a bit more secure. what are your thoughts?

2. Aslan

Aslan My avatar is the new hotness... yours... Old and b

Yes, you would need to vet them first to make sure they are cool to put on the site. There is no way to automatically do this. both ideas sound good though, not sure I understand how the second prevents someone from goatse'ing you.

3. Mikey

Mikey This one, this form I hold now, so Wide eyed and h

the second doesn't, but it is all automated and requires nothing from me.

4. Aslan

yep, and nothing says you can't go through on a weekly or semi-weekly basis and clean house. Depends how much work you want to put into it.

one way you could do this to make things easier...

is have people upload to a database that goes directly to the site, then you build an admin tool for yourself where you can view all the files and maybe check a box to delete the ones you want as a batch.

be sure to cover your ass by including some text to the effect of: These are user submitted pictures and we do not hold ourselves or our band responsible for copyright or legality of said pictures.
    Also put something in there about, if you see a picture here that should not be, please notify us at lkhjslhs and we will remove it. or maybe just say, pictures will be removed at copyright holders request.

Anyway, that's just my two cents

5. Kevin

Kevin New Member

Upload automatically. Create column called "status." Set column default to 0
    Only display images with status of 1.

create an interface for yourself to approve, update table set column = 1 where id = @id

6. Aslan

so a combination of the two with a pending workstate, sure. i concur. sir :)

7. option 1 should be out of the question because it isn't a user truly submitting something since it will take hours maybe even days before you can get to the photo and update. it's very primitive.

best thing to do is set up the form to automatically upload to a directory. from there you have many options. you can either have the files rename to something that is already precoded into a generic html file or you can have some php add the file to a database. you can even use XML to have the files automatically detected and placed on whatever page the XML is linked to.

if someone goatse the gallery, just delete those certain images.