Best powered subwoofer for HT for under $300?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by jero, Dec 4, 2009.

1. jero

jero Let me just put the tip in...

Okay here's the deal. Im looking for a powered sub for under $300 for my BEDROOM. I already have a badass sub for the living room, so please dont say shit like "get a hsu or svs" or something, because i have it.

I need a great sub for under $300 bucks.

Anyone have a BIC F12? Or a PA-120 they can brag about?

Or something else that might fit the bill? Im kind of set on the ebay deal for the PA-120 for 229 + 29 shipping. 650watt 12 inch sub is getting great reviews and is praised more so than the H100 or F12 that BIC offers.

If anyone could chime in with what they have for some advice that would be kick ass.

2. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

3. jero

I settled on the PA-120. It rocks a 12in driver, and 650watts of power. It retails at 229 + 29 shipping, but sound distributors had a 15% off coupon "TV15" which knocked the price down 35 bucks.

223$ shipped for what looks like the best budget subwoofer out there, according to avsforums.

Next best is like almost 400 bucks, a hsu ( duh, then of course svs branding. )

Just figured id chime in in case anyone else was looking for a sub-250$ subwoofer.

4. OniMinion

OniMinion ...recalls when this forum was actually about cars OT Supporter

Are you looking for something that "sounds high quality" or for something that will blow a girls clothes off when she in bed next to it?

If the second choice, I'd look at Klipsch, otherwise I liked Boston Acoustic for sound quality in that range.

http://www.bostonacoustics.com/-CS-Sub10-Subwoofer-P262.aspx
    http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/sw-350-overview/

Also, Boston has a lifetime warranty on all their drivers (no seriously, YOUR lifetime). I had a tower lose one driver in my garage system and called them - despite it being 15 years old, they sent a new driver at no cost to me.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
  5. Gen5_EG

Gen5_EG :)

I'd agree! I have not heard the SW-350 from Klipsch, but I have heard the Sub-10: http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/synergy-sub-10-overview/
    and it's rather nice sounding IMO.

6. jero

Thanks for the input. This build was for my bedroom 7.1 setup, as i spend the big bucks on the living room ( svs subs in there ).

I just wanted something under 250 that replaced an onkyo htib sub that i had milling around from when i first bought an audio system for the bedroom.

While at the time it was great, as i usually do, i tend to look to upgrade. So i bought a onkyo tx-sr707 receiver and some polk floorstanding speakers, got a great deal on some klipsch surrounds for the sides and rear, and then paired it with what is being reviewed on avsforums as a kick ass sub, even for 260 which it usually sells for.

I just happened to get that coupon code for 15% off, and it is on its way to me and will be here thursday for $223.

ill prolly post some pics and results, but some guys over at avs loved the sub so much for the low price they bought 2 ( my rec. supports 11.2 so i could as well )

If anyone is looking for a budget sub for a small build, or just doesnt have the cash to drop 10k on a crazy ass system, you might want to check it out.

7. jero

Again this was not so much a "i need a killer subwoofer" thread, as i already have an SVS in my main theatre room.

This was a "i need a low cost, high quality sub for my bedroom".

Anyone looking for a sub that has a great build, throws tons of heavy LFE at you, and is under 250$ look no further.

I dont know whats more shocking. The price, or the performance.