Best plan to lose weight and keep muscle?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by jfall, Jun 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jfall

jfall Active Member

I'm 5'8 and about 195 right now (I started off weighing 240 about 8 months ago). I want to lose 15 more lbs of fat without losing too much muscle in the process. Right now I go to the gym 5-6 days a week. Currently doing about 30 minutes of cardio and 45 minutes of lifting each day. I'm not taking any supplements at the moment, my diet is in the 1,500-2k calorie range.

After doing the above for the past couple of months I have stayed at relatively the same weight but I have been packing on some muscle. I need to change my workout/diet to lose the last 15lbs without losing the muscle I put on over the past couple of months.

I've been thinking about doing HIIT (running) every second day and doing my regular workout minus the cardio on the other days. Would this be a good idea? Or should I stick with what I have been doing longer and perhaps alter my diet?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2008
  2. TKEBoss

TKEBoss Nelson Sexors

jfail

3. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

At 195lbs, depending on your bodyfat percentage, I would probably up your calories but still maintaining a deficit. While it means a slower loss, it also means less lean mass likely sacrificed. I would probably lower HIIT to only once per week as you stay on your diet longer.

4. jfall

jfall Active Member

As I said, I started off at around 240lbs, high BF % for 6 months I did very a very low calorie diet and 100% cardio. I dropped down to as low as 185. Then I started doing the 30 min cardio / 45 min lifting and eating more for the past few months. I went up from 185 to 195 (but I think it is mostly muscle).

My problem areas right now are my stomach/chest/back and still have some fat under the chin area. I'm hoping that dropping 15lbs of fat will help get rid of most of that, then I can concentrate more on toning/gaining a little more muscle.

I've always had a fairly broad build. I don't want to be huge, I want to be more lean, but cut.

This is where I am at right now (195):

[​IMG]

5. evolude

evolude OT Supporter

What size is that shirt? I'm the same height as you but 10 lbs. lighter. Recently started buying XL shirts. :o

6. jfall

jfall Active Member

I wear medium shirts

7. evolude

evolude OT Supporter

You'd look better in a L and buy shorter socks.

8. BlackWRX

BlackWRX New Member

large? that shirt fits him fine

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.