A&P Best place to start for a n00b (pics inside, need help)

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by BlackWRX02, Sep 24, 2003.

1. BlackWRX02

BlackWRX02 OTs Cingular Guru

I have a Nikon CoolPix 885. I've taken a few "decent" pictures so far. But I want to get better and I still have very limited knowledge of basic photography principles (metering, white balance, aperture, etc., etc.)

Just looking for some good basic tips or where I should start to look around.

I'll post a few pics i thought were semi-ok.

[​IMG]
    This one is one of my better ones, but the car is still underexposed. How would I go about taking a better shot in this situation?

[​IMG]
    Again, the car is WAY underexposed. I dont mind it so much in this picture, but it still bugs me. Tips?

[​IMG]
    Imagine that, underexposed again! I know its hard on a black car at night, but there has to be a way

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What about composure? Are they decent shots besides the underexposure and other issues?
    I also want to take some pictures of stuff other than the car but there just isn't anything exciting or interesting around daytona that I've found. What do you all look for when out taking pics?

Thanks for any suggestions or tips you might have :big grin:

2. Skillz

Skillz Guest

I am also a noob, what do you mean by "under exposed"?

Is it where the car appears to be "dark", as apposed to the surrounding environment?

3. BlackWRX02

exactly. The car itself has little detail (too dark) but everything else isn't underexposed. Its harder b/c is a black car I guess

4. Kronos

Kronos Guest

Meter off the car. What kind of camera are you using? If your camera has AE-Lock, use it. You meter off the car, lock the AE, recompose the pic, and snap.

5. jTranz

jTranz Lost in Translation

Here's my black car in the dark. Kind of a cool shot at the time.

[​IMG]

6. Kronos

Kronos Guest

Sorry, I just saw where you said what kind of camera you have. With the 885 you should be able to use "Spot" meter or "Center Weighted" metering to meter off the car.

7. BlackWRX02

yeah, i know it has spot metering. I just need to learn about metering in general before I go using it and not knowing what it is I'm changing :)

Is that my only problem that you can see so far? Just metering wrong? What should I meter instead of the car?

8. fliptight

fliptight Guest

wow. love the way that wrx looks. very clean look.

9. BlackWRX02

10. Sigma

Sigma Guest

either meter off the car as has been suggested already or if you can do manual, just open up one spot or shoot at the next slower speed from what the camera's meter suggests.

11. I don't mean to hijack your post (sorry) but what size/kind of wheels are those on your WRX? It looks very nice bro.

12. Kronos

Kronos Guest

Err, I guess I should've said "meter the car" instead of "Meter off the car" Heh.

Your camera has different meter settings in manual mode, there's Matrix, Spot, Center Weighted, and Spot AF. If you use Spot or Centerweigthed, and your car is in the middle of your shot, the camera should measure the amount of light coming from the car. If it's metering the car, the car should be properly exposed.

Now the AE-Lock, say you don't want the car to be right in the middle of your picture, but you want the correct exposure for it. If you meter the car, then use the AE-lock, you can then recompose your pic and put the car off center and still have the correct exposure.

hope that helps. *phew* I didn't know I've learned that much already. :)

13. Kronos

Kronos Guest

BTW here's my old car just before I sold it:

[​IMG]
    I know it doesn't help as it's a white car in the day as opposed to a black car at night. :)

14. BlackWRX02

Thanks

Wheels are 18x8" SSR Competitions :)

15. BlackWRX02

Thanks for the tips. I'll give it a try next time I'm out with the camera.
    Wish I had it with me yesterday, I saw an ENZO :eek3:

16. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

Metering is one part art and two parts science. A spot meter reads a small area of reflective light. An averaging meter reads the whole frame as seen by the lens, and averages the light to give you a reading. When metering with a spot or an averaging meter, if you can "read" a grey scale you'll get the best results. However, since you probably don't have grey scale handy, take a reading off the palm of your hand. The average caucasian skin tone is close to that of a grey scale. The simplest way to meter a shot is to just let the camera pick the exposue, shoot the shot then shoot another shot 1 f/stop open from the first setting, and shoot another shot 1 f/stop closed from the original setting. That way you "bracket" your exposures. For the shot of the black car, you really need to use a flash on your camera to "fill in" the dark car. The only real trick is to make sure you don't have the flash reflecting back into the lens. Takiing the flash off the camera often produces better results.

Jim

17. Valence

Valence Gustav Refugee

These are tips from me, an amateur photographer, and my personal opinions only. These pics are definately cool, i would just do a few things different.

[​IMG]
    Too much sky. I want to concentrate on the car, but the sky pulls my vision up and away. I don't like the car being in the middle of the picture. I always use rule of 2/3.

[​IMG]
    Again, too much sky. I like the lighting and the reflection, maybe 2/3 reflection 1/3 car, or vice versa? I realize that most of the back lighting is the sky, and this photo makes me think, I might get down on a low angle, use a diffused flash with sky visible through car windows. However, there's not much I could do to that picture besides change angle and exposure

[​IMG]

I really like this photo, however I also would really like really sharp focus. The steam is a nice touch to it, and more light on the car. The focus thing is just me though, i don't like blurry pics, even slightly blurry. Something has to be sharply in focus or it bothers me.

[​IMG]

I actually like the composition here, the clouds bother me, but you can't control the weather. Lighting though. Reflections in the car and the general ambient lighting I wish were brighter, or darker. It's kinda in between what I prefer.

[​IMG]

I really like this one. If were a blue sky sunny day i think i would love it. Did you take these pics all in one day? was it winter or something?

[​IMG]
    good potential, like the scenery, but again, lighting, dreary clouds lol.

Hey, You have a lot of potential and a good eye for a noob. Remember you asked for a critique, that's my honest opinion. I wouldn't ask for anything else in one of my own critiques.

18. BlackWRX02

Thanks so much. Thats exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for. A good critique.
    A few responses.
    These pictures were not shot in the same day, nor the same city even. All over the place in a span of about 3 months or so.
    I agree with you on the clouds, but not much I can do about them, like you said.
    The reflection on the picture with the city in the BG drive me CRAZY. I didnt noticed when I was taking them somehow.

Again, thanks for the tips! :bigthumb: