best place to buy drives for making a new raid array

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Harry Caray, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Harry Caray

Harry Caray Fine purveyor of x.264, h.264 & TS HD-Video !!! HD

I just ordered the new 3Ware 12ch RAID-6 card that I'm going to be using for my new setup. Need to find the best deal on either 750 or 1tb drives.

Either Seagate or the new WD's are nice. My Local Fry's is kinda $$$ for them though.

NewEgg is shitty for drives I hear, they don't know how to ship'em or do bubble wrap??? :ugh:

Any thought?

2. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

I just ordered 5 Seagate ES.2 1TB SATA drives from zipzoomfly for $20 less per drive then newegg.

My first order from them and should get it today, will let you know how they shipped them. I know when I ordered my drives from newegg last time (6 drives plus other stuff), they sent them in their static bags taped in a foam drive case thing, and with packing peanuts in a box. The foam thing they used is the same as what we get and ship drives in (from manufacturer & to OEMs).

My understanding is that, with Seagate at least, they are not going to have a 1.5TB enterprise level drive because no customers want it. They are releasing a desktop (7200.11) version this month though. They are releasing an enterprise and desktop 2TB drive in early next year.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2008
  3. ls1norcal

ls1norcal New Member

I've gotten all my drives from newegg. I always buy them OEM style, and they come wrapped in a very thick bubble wrap. The kind with the bubbles that are like a square inch.

Did you read something on here that they dont wrap them?

4. Harry Caray

I've read on other forums, storage forums,etc that drives come DOA or only last a few days from NE. And they always come in bubble wrap, which seems to be a no-no :nono: for HD's.

Dunno... just wondering. I don't need retail, OEM and the best price would be great, just would suck to buy 12 units and have 1 be bad and wait for a RMA and 2 weeks for a replacement :ugh:

5. ls1norcal

ls1norcal New Member

Hmm. I definitely didnt get mine in static bags. Just bubble wrap. But ive never had any problems.

6. Harry Caray

HD's that don't come sealed from the factory and not in static bags:ugh:

That's great! but again, that's what i've heard

7. Cthalupa

Cthalupa New Member

I've ordered 15+ drives from Newegg, and all came in static bags

8. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

check clubit, zipzoomfly, mwave, fry's/outpost, tigerdirect... they probably have the same if not better deals.

fatwallet/slickdeals.net for even better deals...

9. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Every hard drive I've bought in the past 7 years came from Newegg. Every single one was in a static bag wrapped in bubble wrap. Every single one works perfectly to this day.

I dunno what you're on about...

10. Cock Diesel

Cock Diesel New Member

I ordered a laptop hard drive from Newegg and it came in a static bag swaddled in bubble wrap and surrounded by foam peanuts. I've had zero trouble out of it in the 5-6 months I've had it.

11. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

So I got my drives from ZipZoomFly today. I must say that I am impressed with their shipping. Each drive wasn't in a static bag but in plastic cases. The drives were each placed in their own foam block with 1/2"+ thick walls. They even had a foam door thing on them. They were stacked neatly into a box with all excess space taken up by air bags. The box arrived via FedEx in like-new condition.

12. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

i ordered my first drive from newegg recently and it was in a static bag which was wrapped in bubble wrap. the drive was DOA and i had to pay $10 to ship it back to them and it has added at least a week to the whole process. it is pretty annoying.

13. deusexaethera

You can't base an opinion on one experience. You have no reason to believe the drive was killed in shipment, and wasn't dead to start with.

14. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

i'm not basing anything on anything. he asked about buying drives from newegg and i told him my one experience which was pretty annoying. i didn't say i'd never buy hardware from them again or even that i wouldn't buy a hard drive from them again. lrn2read.

15. deusexaethera

Fair enough.

16. Harry Caray

So it seems the price breaks are as follows...

$59-500gb, $79-750gb, & $139 for 1tb.

Considering this is a RAID-6 and at the 8+ drive level I'll get more then the 75% array capacity efficiency (or less then 25% used for parity) but at this point today, 750's are the price point...

in Oct, when the 1.5tb's come out, then the 1tb's will drop:x: so maybe I'll wait?

17. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

you'll be "waiting" forever.

just buy what you can afford now.

18. Harry Caray

Still waiting for the card and the "snazzy" cables to get here. Then I will be going down to Fry's (3 miles away) and figuring out which 2nd pwr sply to put in the case just to run the additional drives, etc...

I have another 2-3 weeks before I start this at minimum, not excluding family that's coming out in Sept to visit every damn SoCal attraction there is, and 3 other clients that want video production storage systems done before the DVExpo in Nov. What I'm building them is similar to this...

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/fusiond500p.html

This one is just fro my personal needs so I have time, but running out of room... I'll post pics along the away ;)