Best place to buy a new notebook?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Spiral Out, Mar 9, 2006.

1. Spiral Out

Spiral Out Active Member

I am going to use it for general computer use, programming, some gaming, and splicing audio. It will be used as my primary machine...

Any suggestions on a good place?

2. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

The Apple Store. :)

3. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

hmm, there aren't really any good places strictly to buy laptops, it just depends on what you want.

the best reviewed lappy's are ibm, toshiba, acer, some apples. Then you just look for deals.

The okay laptops have somewhat of a value if you don't mind the lower quality are dell's, hp's/compaq's.

4. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Microcenter has Macbook Pros to play with, which is the best notebook available for your needs. They also have VAIOs and lots of PC notebooks.

Frys is another place.

5. 01000101

01000101 New Member

buy an asus from proportable.com

look around the forums at forum.notebookreview.com, there's alot of online retailers that hang out and answer questions. jason from proportable is probably the best retailer i have ever dealt with. he and his brother are EXTREMELY helpful.

6. RyanL

RyanL OT Supporter

+1 on the proportable.com

7. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Buying a notebook without trying it is a HUGE mistake.

8. zanyspy_dude

zanyspy_dude King of teh n00bz

where, who cares, but do what a guy in my class did and buy those new thinkpads, damn that thing is freeking cool w/ a 13 hour battery life...

9. 01000101

01000101 New Member

i dont regret buying my without trying it out first

10. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

You might not, but since you CAN try them out there is no reason not to.

11. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

what's so different with laptops that you have to try them out...

a monitor, a keyboard, mouse pointer, an OS.... What else can you try? Certainly can't test battery life in the store... an important aspect.

Arguably, desktops are much more vast than laptops, and I don't believe people try them out before purchasing them. They know what they want, they know their budget, they buy one.

12. Spiral Out

Spiral Out Active Member

I can agree somewhat with trying it out first. I got a new notebook at work and the keyboard is a lot easier to use...

13. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

The difference is design and feel. I had a dell notebook that by the numbers, on the website, kicked my iBooks ass. It was also really fucking heavy and so I never carried it anywhere. It was a small desktop.

Then I went to the apple store just to look. The feel and design of the iBook was so bad ass that I bought it on the spot. It was light, it sleeps when you shut it and instantly unsleeps when you open it, using zilcho battery power for a day's sleep. The screen quality was superior to anything I'd ever seen. It FELT great to type on. It is not heavy. I now carry it everywhere I go. You can't tell any of these things about a notebook on a website. Had I ordered a notebook from the net without, there is every chance that it would not have become 'part of my life' as the ibook has. Instead it would just be a portable computer that I happen to own.

Anyway, the best portables are made by Apple and Sony right now. Go to a store and pick them up and use them and you will agree. A macbook pro can run windows very quickly now inside OS X, due to the Intel Dual Core processor inside. Check this out. Once you go mac you never go back.

14. 01000101

01000101 New Member

i couldnt try out asus. they're arent any retailers in my area that sell them. but based on the magic of google, i was able to check them out vicariously, and was satisified by what other people thought of them. i spent 45 minutes talking to jason's brother at proportable over aim and he answered all of my questions. jason owns every asus product that has shipped to the states and has the ear of asus corporate.

i considered the apples. i went to the store and messed around with them. im not interested in changing to mac os at this point. im not a windows fanboy, but i didnt care to take whatever time required to switch. i use a g5 in one of my design classes and i dont regret my decision to stick with a non-mac laptop.

to the original poster, check out www.notebookreview.com and their forums, forum.notebookreview.com

15. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I reiterate: do not buy a notebook you have not held in your hands.

16. Grifter

Grifter Silver Member

dell 750 off 1500

17. colosodian

colosodian Next Gen

asus if you need to game away from home, apple if you dont.

18. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

This info is outdated. With a Macbook Pro, you can game all you want. XP inside OS X is wicked fast now. Plus, Sony VAIOs are the bomb.

19. AndyP

AndyP OT Supporter

I bought an IBM without holding it... and i love the thing

20. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

And people marry partners they've never met and sometimes its true love. Doesn't mean its a good idea, though.