A&P best place to buy a d50?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by jimmybuffett, May 5, 2006.

1. jimmybuffett

jimmybuffett New Member

im going to buy a camera soon. i want a nikon slr. money is an object so i figured id get a d50. is this an ok first camera? what will i need to buy along with the camera itself?

thanks in advance for the help

2. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

D50 is great. You will probably need a bag, memory card, tripod & card reader (optional).

If you have money left over, looking at buying a the camera body only & getting a better lens

3. Phlea

Phlea OT Supporter

Memory cards, these are cheap now. Check techbargains.com or the Sunday paper ads if you want to buy local. If you get less that a 4 gig card buy a couple, especially if you plan to shoot RAW.

A spare battery is always nice, and the remote available for the d50/70 is a bargain at it's current asking price.

That covers the basics, you will likely want to add a decent bag, a tripod, and of course lenses. The sb800 flash unit is really nice used in combination with the built in flash.

Try Amazon first then look to beat their price.

Last edited: May 6, 2006
  4. hsubaru

hsubaru New Member

D50 is a great first digital SLR. For $95, get the Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D lens. Best bang for the buck, but it's got the poor man's zoom (walking up to and away from the thing you're taking a picture of). The Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5, otherwise known as the D70 kit lens, is good stuff too for pretty cheap.

Camera, lens, and memory card are all you need for a while. Maybe a tripod.