WEB Best place to advertise your new web design 'business'?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Swerve, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Swerve

Swerve OT Supporter

I say new business, but I'm learning it at university, and would like to make some money whilst practising the skills were learning. So prices will be low, but deadlines need to be flexible. I'm thinking like 7 days for a 5 page dynamic driven site.

Wanting to keep a good name, I'm wondering how much you think would be a fair price to charge, and also good places to actually look for work. I've made a new account at getafreelancer, but want to start off less formal.

Would asking to have a backlink on the site to my work be a good idea? Then I could include the site in a portfolio, which I guess is a big part of your credibility, do you think?

I see adverts in the local newspapers here for similar jobs between £70 and £300! from companies. I'm sure once you have the skills down you could make 5 or so a day, which is good money. I'm hoping a year from now I could be producing a similar amount. If the content is provided by the customer, I'm figuring it a a type of 'production line operation'.

Bit of a ramble, but I appreciate your advice.

Thanks.

2. Browning

Browning Active Member

The Webmaster Lab

3. Ricky

Ricky █▄ █▄█ █▄ ▀█▄

get a portfolio

4. biawokauns

biawokauns New Member

learn how to spell son

5. JesterFX

JesterFX New Member

do some cheap/free work for a few people to use as your references and demo work. Not only might those same people become longer term customers they will likely suggest you to their friends and such.

You could also build small little content sites for experience and portfolio material and then just flip them at the various webmaster sites/forums.

Relying on your clients for content would help you as far as filling out the sites but you're going to learn getting resources and answers from clients, especially larger companies/corporations can be a pain and very slow.

Do you have any sites at all that you have done that you can show?

6. nashstradamus

nashstradamus New Member

this is why you fail. design something for experience, don't pretend you made someone else's

7. intrktevo

intrktevo New Member

8. JesterFX

JesterFX New Member

On top of that, word of mouth is one of the most important factors for getting new clients for this type of work. You screw up and get found out by someone by "faking" and you seal your fate. It's a surprisingly small world sometimes ;).

9. dazmanultra

dazmanultra New Member

If you can drum up the work, you might as well just outsource it to India and take a cut.

10. YourMomOnRyeBun

YourMomOnRyeBun New Member

It sounds cliche...but donate your time to a church or large group like that and do a site that will knock their socks off. At first you need to build a network. How many people go to a church...and how many organizations are those people involved with? And so on and so on...

My parents own a trophy/plaque company and that is what they did. They made plaques for a sport organization...one of the coaches was active in the Boy Scouts and they bought some...one of the Scouts was in the Lion's Club and they bought some...and on and on...

Couple freebie projects to the right groups will gain you more exposure than some marketing (newspaper ad, etc).

11. YourMomOnRyeBun

YourMomOnRyeBun New Member

Why lie like this?

Show them "samples of the type of work you are capable of doing". You aren't taking credit for the actual work, but you are showing what you could do. Make it clear these aren't your works...

Just like when you go into a hair stylist and pick a hair cut out of one of the books. You know that YOUR hair stylist didn't cut that persons hair...but you are just looking for an example of what you want.