GUN Best Pistol Ever?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Poonony, Jan 29, 2004.

1. Poonony

Poonony New Member

So I go looking to buy a pistol, one I can target shoot, conceal/use for self defence but still be affordable, both for the gun and for the ammo to practice with.

I've talked to a number of gunsmith's in my area and they all have personell fav's ( i.e Wilson CQB, Smith & Wesson .40, whatever), but when I bring up the issue of durability/life expectancy, they all say Glock 9mm.

I've read stuff about them and shot one, but I'm interested in what makes them so great? I'm willing to spend the cash to get one, but I want a gun that wont crap out on me when I need it most.
    oh yeah, and what's up with the stories of Glocks exploding when people fire them? I thought they were Indo-Struck-O-Ble. . .

2. DC

DC OT Supporter

I've heard stories of glocks exploding on people, but honestly from what I've read/heard, that's usually because they're trying to use bad ammo or misusing the gun.

Any gun'll blow up if you do that.

3. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

if you want the most proven reliability, ole gaston glock is your man. there are others out there that are reliable, but few have even undergone the testing through which glocks have been put, and only one other pistol survived it, and that's the Beretta 92FS. but, a glock is much simpler and easier to carry concealed than a full sized beretta.

KB's happen to defective pistols (to which all manufacturers are succeptible) or to people who use the wrong kind of ammo, or poorly made ammo, or otherwise defective ammo.

4. Possum Stomper

Possum Stomper The Great Bird of the Galaxy

really? that's friggin :cool:

i often get the impression that berettas are some of the most underrated guns :dunno: i love em

what kind of tests did it endure?

5. footratfunkface

the giant FBI torture test. the freezing, water, exposure, drop, run-over tests, you name it. the beretta came out only slightly behind the glock in performance, meaning it was worse in wear after the tests, but it functioned every time, like the glock. all other pistols tested failed to function at some point, and were out of the race.

the glock tests have been repeated several times, but i don't know if berettas have ever been done since.

6. footratfunkface

the glock passed all those tests, too. and as far as taking +P ammo, glocks will do it forever with the frames. the barrels have been known to last anywhere from 15,000 to 30,000 rounds. but there are glocks out there with hundreds of thousands of rounds (with regularly replaced parts, of course) through them.

the glock CANNOT fire from being dropped, because it's a striker fired pistol. there is nothing to disconnect from dropping. i don't know glock failure rates, but i'd imagine they're at least that low. i'd imagine that if you dug that up, you could dig this up too.

7. Possum Stomper

Possum Stomper The Great Bird of the Galaxy

this is a good thread :)

any links?

and what pistols failed?

8. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

Where'd you hear about the Glock and the Beretta being the only ones passing the tests? I've always heard it as the Sig and the Beretta.

9. footratfunkface

sigs rust too easily, there's no way they'd pass a submersion test. i won't believe that until i see the actual proof.

10. Sideways

Sideways Do I look like I give a damn?

Glocks aren't as great as they were. Last few years Glock's have become pretty piss poor. They have had major issues in manufacturing, R&D, quality.

It doesn't apply to all models, but for some Glocks mainly .40 & .45 you have to be very picky about the ammo you use and even then you never know when you will come across a bad batch. It is a mix of Glock manufacturing combined with not providing adequate case support which when used with the bad ammo... is very very bad. You could get away with firing this bad stuff in most other guns, but in the Glock... KABOOM. Which is why Glock highly stresses to ONLY USE factory new, copper jacketed ammo. Even then, somebody could make the mistake of cycling a bullet through the gun a couple times (2-3), which can and will cause the bullet to be seated further into the shell and in the case of .40 & .45 that will create very dangerous high pressures. When you combine that with the lack of adequate case support issue, Glock tends to overramp their feedramps which leaves more of the brass exposed and unsupported. Once again... combine this with that bad ammo :Owned:

Which is why I don't care for a gun that is very dependant on the ammo it uses and has a higher chance of possibly injuring myself unlike other firearms. To take into consideration, other manufacturers have introduced guns that meet and exceed Glock's reputation.

PLEASE do not get your information soley from glock sites. Just like any "dedicated" site, they tend to be filled with fanboys that are totally skewered to one side. They ignore all of the negatives and will present on ly the positives. General guns sites where people own several brands & models including Glocks will give you the best unbiased opinion.

IN ADDITION TO THE CASE SUPPORT ISSUE, THESE RECALLS OVER THE LAST 4 years contribute to Glock's recent piss poor quality

---

GLOCK

MODEL 26
    9MM CALIBER, SEMIAUTOMATIC PISTOL,
    SERIAL NUMBER PREFIX DGU, DHR & DKU

MODEL 27
    40 S&W CALIBER SEMIAUTOMATIC PISTOL
    SERIAL NUMBER PREFIX DGD, DGV, DHS, DHT, DKV, DKW, & DKX

Recall: Mr. Don Bulver, warrant department, of Glock, Inc. indicated the recoil springs produced before September 1999 may shear off on some of these pistols due to over hardness of the support tube.

Replacement springs will be distinguished by a vertical mark from the center on the front polymer portion of outer ring of the guide rod assembly which will appear to be a mold line.

Glock
    6000 Highlands Parkway
    Smyrna, GA 30082
    (770) 432-1202

Source:

* Company Notice, February 21, 2000

---

GLOCK
    SEMIAUTOMATIC PISTOLS MANUFACTURED BETWEEN SEPTEMBER 2001 AND MAY 2002 WITH SERIAL NUMBERS STARTING WITH “E”, “GSSF” OR “USA” REGARDLESS OF CALIBER

WARNING: Glock pistols manufactured between September 2001 and May 2002 with serial numbers starting with “E”, “GSSF” or “USA” regardless of caliber have experienced FRAME RAIL FAILURES.

The specific issue is the potential of breaking a rear frame rail. Glock notes that under most conditions the pistol will continue to function with three rails.

Glock, Inc. does not officially call this a recall, but an upgrade at no charge. The complete firearm should be returned to Glock for a replacement frames that will have the original serial number with a “1” prefix added to it.

If you believe you have a pistol affected by this notice contact Glock at (866) 225-4098.

---

GLOCK
    MODEL 19,
    9MM LUGER CALIBER, PISTOL

WITH SERIAL NUMBER PREFIXS AN,BP,BR, BV, BW, BX, DL, DM, DN, DP, DR, DS, DT, DV, DW, DX, DY, & DZ.

WARNING: These pistol may have the potential of the action to malfunction as followings:

1. The slide locking back on a full magazine.
    2. Failure to lock into battery because the barrel lug drags on the slide lock.
    3. The magazine follower tips or sticks in the magazine tube.

Glock, Inc.
    6000 Highlands Parkway
    Smyrna, GA 30082
    (770) 432-1202

---

GLOCK
    MODEL 19,
    9MM LUGER CALIBER, PISTOL

WITH SERIAL NUMBER PREFIXS AN,BP,BR, BV, BW, BX, DL, DM, DN, DP, DR, DS, DT, DV, DW, DX, DY, & DZ.

WARNING: These pistol may have the potential of the action to malfunction as followings:

1. The slide locking back on a full magazine.
    2. Failure to lock into battery because the barrel lug drags on the slide lock.
    3. The magazine follower tips or sticks in the magazine tube.

Glock, Inc.
    6000 Highlands Parkway
    Smyrna, GA 30082
    (770) 432-1202

The pictures speak for themselves...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2004
  11. PonySpanker

PonySpanker New Member

Strange that none of the serial numbers in the pictures are part of the recalls. Not to be a Glock sackrider but that sure doesn't help your case any. Not to mention that all of that info is 4 years old now. Probably just bad ammo or some idiot doing his own reloads and didn't have a clue what he was doing. If they where that suseptable to KB then police departments around the world wouldn't use them.

12. Redmouse

Redmouse Just looking...

:werd:

KB does not happen to just specifically "Glock" pistols. Since its used more widely than some other pistols, they get more bad press. NYPD KB were probably more publicized than some of the other stories. Culprit was the Federal ammo they were using. I dont have the details but I believe it was due to the thinner brass casings and hotter load.

Not too long ago, there were some pics of a H&K USP KB.(I think that was here in the Aresenal too...) That's what I carry everyday. Just because there was a report of a KB, doesnt mean I'm going to chunk that pistol. It just means I'm going to be a bit more careful when I'm selecting my ammo. I've also head of SIG P229 KBs also.

13. Jago

Jago It helps if you hit it.

whats the word on springfield XDs?

14. Sideways

:ugh:

"but that sure doesn't help your case any."

It does help my case alot, it shows TOTALLY DIFFERENT PROBLEMS, in the addition to the the case support issue.

"Probably just bad ammo or some idiot doing his own reloads and didn't have a clue what he was doing."

more than half of the cases I came across were using new factory ammunition.

"that all of that info is 4 years old now"

Case support kBs are as recent as 2002-2003, not 4 years ago..

"If they where that suseptable to KB then police departments around the world wouldn't use them."

And yet police departments have been switching Glocks for Rugers and other makes for a couple years now.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2004
  15. footratfunkface

they're good. they're like a glock combined with a 1911 on the outside (because of the beavertail safety and the trigger safety), but function more like a sig on the inside, only striker-fired like a glock. a lot of people find them more comfortable than glocks. i've yet to hear of any problems with them, but they're not quite as popular as other pistols yet. they're more expensive than the old HS2000 on which it is based, and nearly comletely the same. there are a few modifications that springfield did, but it's not worth the extra money just to have their name on it.

if i bought an XD, i'd either go used, or try to find an HS2000.

16. itchiban

itchiban Guest

A couple of weeks ago, I was at the range and a guy a few lanes over had a kB with a Glock 22. The gun apparently fired out of battery, cracked the frame and everything. His hand wasnt really hurt, just said that there was a big "shock." He was using American Eagle factory ammo.

Still like em though. I'll have a sub-compact sooner or later.

17. PonySpanker

PonySpanker New Member

As redmouse said, a lot of the failures were attributed to Federal ammo. Take a look at the shot that still has the casing in the chamber and tell me what kind of round that was.

And what did they replace when they purchased the Glocks? Police departments and their armory are not static. They have many things like budget constraints or new weapon requirements that they have to follow when updating the weapons that officers carry. Maybe one of the new requirements was that the carry weapon now has to have an external safety? That would rule out the Glock right there. Not because it 'blows up all the time' but becuase it didn't meet department standards any longer. Hell, maybe they just can't spend that much money to replace weapons that are reaching the end of their service life and chose to replace them with a less expensive model that still meets the standards. It could be anything but one thing I can tell you is, it's not because they are blowing up.

18. itchiban

itchiban Guest

Only thing is that the HS2000 only came in 9mm. So you're limited on choices. But I hear you on the rest. I want a HS2000 Gen1, they aren't that hard to find. But I need to buy my sig first, then my kel-tec, then my AR, then my Shotty, then my glock, then MAYBE a HS2000. :bigthumb: (here's hoping)

19. Sideways

"thinner brass casings and hotter load" mixed with Glock's inability to provide proper case support.... there wasn't any complaints coming from other gun makes.

And no, alot of the failures were not only attributed Federal ammo... Most recent ones seen in alt.guns are Winchester, Corbon, UMC, etc.

20. PonySpanker

PonySpanker New Member

Christ you're thick. You're right. Every Glock will blow up. Don't buy one.

21. Sideways

Holyfuck you are thick, where did I say "Every Glock will blow up."

:jumping to conclusions:

:rofl: Expected from somebody who has been camping a thread for over 30 minutes.

22. PonySpanker

PonySpanker New Member

:rofl: Camping a thread? Jeezus. I'm at work. After I reply I go back to work and let IE sit in the background. Are you old enough to work yet?

Oh, and BTW, to quote redmouse: Not too long ago, there were some pics of a H&K USP KB.(I think that was here in the Aresenal too...) That's what I carry everyday. Just because there was a report of a KB, doesnt mean I'm going to chunk that pistol. It just means I'm going to be a bit more careful when I'm selecting my ammo. I've also head of SIG P229 KBs also.

So, is every law enforcement agency now going to dump the H&K and the Sig?

23. Sideways

:rofl: You just admitted to it. The fact that you are at work having to keep this thread open and constantly coming back.

"So, is every law enforcement agency now going to dump the H&K and the Sig?"

Except KBs aren't as common in H&Ks & Sigs as they are in Glocks... try again!

24. PonySpanker

PonySpanker New Member

No thanks. As I said, you're the winner. Glocks should be against the law.

25. Sideways

Bait and hook, this is so easy :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: