Best PDA for the price

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by oakie, Feb 10, 2004.

1. oakie

oakie my ninja.

I'm lookin to buy a PDA, preferably Pocket PC due to compatibility with programs I already have.

nothing is really a requirement as accessories can be purchased for expansion, like BT or WiFi.

Main thing is to keep it under $400. so far i'm leaning towards a Dell Axim X3i, as it has WiFi included for cheaper than an HP1945 + SDIO WiFi card.

my only problem is my disgust for Dell, due to previous bad experiences with purchases and support from them.

2. RoudyruffKK

RoudyruffKK OT Supporter

my gf bought a 1945 recently and got a 20% student discount from the HP site, i myself have a 2215 and both of us have no regrets. the X3i wasn't out yet when i purchased my ppc but i still would have probably gotten the 2215 unless price is a big issue

3. 1997 CL 3.0

1997 CL 3.0 OG since 00

I've got an X3i and I love it no problems at all from the dell, I got this back in December for $330 CDN, if you can wait for a while there's an X3 that will ship with both bluetooth and WIFI which will likely drive the price down on the non-BT but WIFI equiped PDA.

*EDIT* Reading your post again, if you need both Bluetooth and WIFI it's best to get them already built in as most PDA's only have one expansion slot and if you're going to be watching movies, listening to MP3's and stuff you'll need the extra space provided by your SDIO slot. So try to get as much stuff built in as you need. There is a wifi card with built in memory but it won't be cheap. I know you said under $400 but HP's Ipaq 5000 series is fully loaded for a little bit more.

4. pookrat

pookrat OT Supporter

Rather than spending $150-250 more for a 5000 series. Buy a 4150 for the extra $50 bucks. WiFi and BT built in. Great form factor. Also an SDIO slot for upgrades...

They actually have it for less at Mobile Planet...

http://www.mobileplanet.com/product.asp?dept_id=2621&pf_id=MP965610&listing=1

I use a 2215 but would go with the 4150 if I was you... Only difference is lack of CF Card.

5. oakie

oakie my ninja.

the hp 4150 sounds like a great option, although the dell beats it by almost $100.

i do like the idea of dual slots like the 2215 has, but lacking wifi makes one of the slots dead once i get a wifi card. and the over $400 price for the 5000 series makes it a bit prohibitive.

i wish there were more places around here to get a hands on experience with them.

6. Hairy Gorilla

Hairy Gorilla New Member

I am very happy with my 1945 and wifi card here on campus. Grand total of $300 spent and couldn't be happier. I can't wait to get a memory card(prob only a 128mb) so I can use it as a ipod wannabe. Yea it is not 10gb or larger, but it will hold enough songs to get me through a Very lengthy workout. I do not need to have every one of my songs to choose from...