Best PC or Notebook for 500-600

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Big_Dippin, Aug 22, 2006.

1. Big_Dippin

Big_Dippin New Member

My Dimension 4600 motherboard took a crap on me. Im looking for something cheap that isn't slow when surfing the net.

2. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Check out gotapex.com these Dell deals...

DellSB - Dimension 1100 with 2.53Ghz Celeron D 325, 256MB DDR, 80GB HD, 16x DVD-ROM, 1 Year Warranty for $369 including 19" LCD Monitor!

DellHome - Inspiron E1505 Laptop with 1.6Ghz Intel Core Duo T2050, 15.4" WXGA TFT, 512MB DDR2, 60GB HD, 24x CD-RW/DVD Combo, and 802.11b/g for $659 with FREE Shipping plus FREE Color Printer!

3. Big_Dippin

Big_Dippin New Member

thanks, but those deals look like the same ones that are on dells page normally.

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

"Best" is very, very relative in this price range. The first thing I'd do is investigate getting your computer repaired under warranty, if possible. If the warranty is expired, it may still be cheaper to have Dell repair your computer than to buy a new one.

If you're looking for a prebuilt machine, you're probably not going to be able to beat the prices that Dell or Gateway offers; though, I once had an eMachine that worked quite well despite only costing $400 for the entire system. The speakers were shit, but I had a stereo so I didn't care.

It's also worth considering that your Dell has plenty of usable parts in it. Even though the motherboard is shot, you can probably still use the CPU and RAM, not to mention the disk drives and whatnot. Things you will need to replace: the case, the power supply, the CPU heatsink (because Dell uses proprietary solutions), and obviously, the motherboard. If you're handy with a screwdriver, reasonably careful about not forcing things into place, and know how to discharge static by zapping yourself against the case before touching any components, then you can build yourself a NewEgg-brand computer that will be better than what you can get from a big-box manufacturer.

5. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

It may be, but where else do you think you are gonna find a better deal on a PC or laptop?

If you don't think those are good prices, wait for the holidays.

6. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

7. Schproda

Schproda New Member

PC, go to www.hp.com and you can get a P4 with 512MB and SATA for $599 or less, depending on the sales they have running.