Best OS to run?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Neuman, Dec 31, 2006.

1. Neuman

Neuman New Member

Trying to figure out what OS to run on my new setup (see: E6400 core 2 duo).

Have ran winXP for a while, is it worth looking into media center or 64 bit edition? I know vista is right around the corner, but I am going to try and hold off on installing that until spring or so in hopes of missing whatever quirks it may contain.

2. DaveyD

DaveyD Fuck Ohio State, son

XP :dunno: I don't think I will go to Vista until SP5 is released for it :hsugh:

3. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

With that thinking, you'd have never installed Win2000 or XP. How's NT4 working?

I'm currently testing Vista on my new build and its fine. I'm actually surprised at how many old XP drivers work on it. I haven't had any lockups or blue screens and application compatibility is good. I expect most of the problems people are having now to be cleared up shortly after Vista actually get released and 3rd parties release their updates & patches.

4. Neuman

Neuman New Member

Are you testing the x86 or x64 version?

edit: Is it possible to have a dual boot machine with both XP and Vista on it?

5. et3rnul

et3rnul OT Supporter

Yes, I'm running XP and Vista RC1. Installed XP first, then Vista.

6. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

I briefly installed x64 on my new desktop but decided that if I wanted to hassle with driver non-existence and software incompatibility, I may as well get a Mac. So I switched to x86 and have had much better luck. Maybe I'll install x64 again in a year or so if 64bit support gets better.

And yes, its possible to dual boot Vista and XP. That's what I'm doing on my laptop. I used Acronis disk director to shrink XP's partition. Then I installed Vista into the free space. Vista's boot loader lists XP as "Previous version of Windows"