A&P Best option for me?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by SugarCoatedSour, Jun 24, 2009.

1. SugarCoatedSour

SugarCoatedSour OT Supporter

I already have an SB-600 and before the SB-800 was discontinued, I was going to get 3 of them to get a good setup going on to use CLS and still have the ability to use PWs in the future.

Now that the 800's gone, I'd have to throw down a lot more for 3 SB-900's. So, just wondering if I'd be better off getting 3 SB-600's and get adapters if I want to use PWs later on.

Basically, I'm looking for the most affordable and reasonable option to stay with CLS and have the ability to use PWs when the time comes.

2. johan

johan Active Member

I don't like the 600, I do like having kit that is all the same and interchangeable.

Try to get some 800's on closeout, you might still find 1 or 2.

I use 4 SB800's. Theyre good, flexible, little powerhouses. the 900's are too big (for me, since I carry 4) and the thermal shutdown bugs me.

Ya, I know it's "protection" but I drive the 800's hard and never had a problem so far, so I'd rather not have an auto protection that interrupts my shooting speed.

3. SugarCoatedSour

Thanks, I'll be sure to look out for any SB-800's still out there. :coold:

Just one response? No turbodude? :hs:

If only I made this a 'hay guise i need an everyday walkaround lens' thread...

4. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

What's not to like about the 600? I love the ones I have. They've functioned flawlessly for me forever. Unless you have a specific need for a feature the 800 or 900 has, why not just stock up on the stupid cheap 600's, and get yourself more versitility and more options?

The 800 really didn't offer me anything I would use over the 600, and while the 900 has some pretty badass features, they don't justify the price.... or rather, they don't justify the price to my wife....

5. Etherized

Etherized Active Member

Agree.

6. Mutombo

Mutombo New Member

I couldn't justify the $470 for the sb-900 (and it's fucking huge) but it certainly is a sweet flash.

The sb-800's are awesome, if you can find them used I'd go for it. The problem is that with how expensive the 900's are, used sb-800's are selling for 350-400 ($100 more than they cost new last year) which is pretty annoying.

I know you mentioned you want to keep using CLS, but another option is to scour your local Craigslist or ebay for older nikon flashes (sb-24, 26, 27, 28) and pick up some CyberSyncs. I grabbed three sb-24's for $40 each. Add a CyberSync CST transmitter and a couple CSRB receivers and you can have three off camera flashes and a trigger system for about the cost of a single sb-800.

7. johan

johan Active Member

I use PW's so I like the sync port on the 800. I don't think the 600 has that.

Also the 800 packs a bit more power, the gn is 25% higher, and it goes down to 1/128 great for feathering light after sunset. The wide power range is very convenient.

8. SugarCoatedSour

:coold:

I already have a Cybersync Transmitter and 1 receiver for the 1 285HV I have, but never used. The whole notion of using the SB-24/26/27/28 seems like a good option for me.

I was wondering where the best places to find these would be?

9. Mutombo

Mutombo New Member

If you have a good local craigslist, that's probably the best option. CL in San Francisco is pretty active so they show up all the time. You can try ebay as well but they tend to go for a little more $ there.

CL tip: I have RSS searches setup for sb-24, sb-25, sb-26, etc, so my RSS feed gets notified instantly when these go up for sale. These flashes show up a lot in "package deals" where someone is trying to sell old film equipment for cheap. If that's the case I just send them an email asking if they'll sell the flash separately...it's worked pretty well for me so far.

10. anthem404

anthem404 not my cup of mud

I've got a sb-800 I'd be willing to give up for $285-300 shipped.

flash, tripod stand, and diffuser, no box. Only problem is, I lost that fucking little door. It's covered up with gaffers tape though.

any go? :big grin:

Last edited: Jun 26, 2009
  11. SugarCoatedSour

It'd be nice to have one, but I don't have any plans for any immediate purchases :hs:

12. anthem404

anthem404 not my cup of mud

roger, that's fine. :wtc:

though I do agree on the sb-24 statement. that's probably the best way to go