Best non-amp headphones?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 1337, Nov 10, 2004.

1. 1337

1337 Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown.

For under $150?

2. LBKornhusker

LBKornhusker Muscular cyborg German dude dances with sexy Frenc

Grados, baby. :bigthumb: Good sound for the money.

3. 1337

I read somewhere that they're uncomfortable. Comments? what about sennheiser?

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

i don't like the grados at all.

The sennheiser 515's are awsome, but they need an amp to realize their full potential.

Any set of good headphones will need an amp for best sound. However, that doesn't mean it's not do-able without an amp.

5. 04

04 Guest

You might be able to find a pair of Sennheiser HD-580's for 150 dollars. I've got a pair of the HD-600's and am listening to them straight off the soundcard right now and they work fine (the 580's and 600's are almost identical other than the housing).

6. CrackityJones

CrackityJones OT Supporter

The Grado SR-60's sounded pretty damn good to my ears (with no amp); not the last word in comfort, but not bad at all. Check out www.headphone.com, really good site! Even though they sell the stuff, the reviews are unbiased and helpful.

7. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

Agreed with the 580/600 recommendation. I have my 600's hooked up to a headphone amp which makes them really shine (although when I plug them directly into my sound card they still sound very good). I used to have 590's which are lower impedance and they also sounded great. However, the 580's are recommended to have an amp, but if you plan on buying one in the future, great.

If you listen primarily to rock or pop I would retract my sennheiser recommendation though, at least among the semi-circumaural open designs. The Grados would probably be better, and I've heard you can bend the headband to make them more comfortable.

Etymotic (sp?) might be another option, they are earbuds but have very good reviews. If I had expendable money I'd buy a set right now to have for my iPod at school.

8. 1337

Well, what I listen to primarily is hiphop and rock. Classical is put on if i'm studying.
    If those are my main uses, would it be better to go for grado's then? i don't think i'll be buying an amp; it's not exactly portable and they're pretty expensive.

9. deltarider99

deltarider99 New Member

I just picked up the Sennheiser HD-280's yesterday. I was running the Sony MDR-V600's for about 9 years, but they just died!

I'm currently running them non-amped thru my Creative Nomad Zen, and they sound very good.