best noise cancelling headphones?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by brewski, Apr 8, 2008.

1. brewski

brewski OT Supporter

I'm looking for some good around-the-ear noise cancelling headphones. They'll mainly be for when i play my piano, so they need to have some good range. Recommendations?

2. tjamz

tjamz New Member

I don't have much experience with around the ear headphones, however, if you are willing to try some ear buds, then I'd suggest Shure SE530's.

3. Wolf-Strong

Wolf-Strong New Member

From my experience, Sennheiser makes some of the best headphones on the market. What kind of level of noise cancelling are you looking for? Aviation grade? Personal entertainment? Active or passive sound reduction? For the piano, your best bet would probably be with a good passive set as they tend to reproduce the best possible range/clarity rather than the active headsets trying to add in sound to cancel out other noises.

What I will suggest is to stay clear away from Bose. I don't care what their reps tell you, the simple fact of the reason is that they don't list the specs for their headphones, outside of how much noise they cancel, and even than it isn't impressive. Personally, I got the Sennheiser HD280 Pro headphones and couldn't be happier. UNBELIEVABLE sound quality, comfortable, very sturdy, reasonably priced, and 32db of noise reduction. Although the manufacturer lists them for $200, I personally got mine on Newegg brand new for $100.

Hope that helps!

4. danz24

danz24 New Member

x2 for music. But its overkill if its used just for piano. And these are in-ear not around the head.

5. PEnGUiN188

PEnGUiN188 New Member

I got the Shure SE530s and they are simply amazing.