best NIC card for a old laptop

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by muchspl2, Dec 11, 2004.

1. muchspl2

muchspl2 The law of unintended consequences owns me

I have a old gateway solo 2150 and want to get the best wireless nic card.
    when I say best I need the longest range, I have even thought of some kind of home built cantanni but I was hoping someone made a be all end all card for laptops by now :x:

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Netgear 511T... Awsome range... At least a block in my area. And it supports A/B/G/108

3. muchspl2

I need extreme range, maybe 1/2 mile or just alittle over, I was hoping that was possible without building something :hs:

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

it's possible, but not legal. 1/2 mile range using a unidirectional antenna will likely require more power than the FCC allows in an unregulated device.

Getting 1/2 mile range with a notebook (ignoring any need for permits, licenses, or safety risks) would require a directional antenna on both the access point, and notebook.

5. muchspl2

damn, I have to find a way, its a airport so it should be a strong single.
    I spend 8 hours a day right next to a WAP and would like to take advantage of it :wtc:

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

most airports charge for the use of their wifi. Even if you were able to connect, you likely couldn't do anything without paying them...

Airports use software similar to what TMobile uses at the Starbucks hotspots... you connect to their unsecured network, but everything is channeled through a proxy server... Any site you try to go to will simply take you to their hotspot page, asking for you to login. Once you login (or signup and pay for their service) you can go to any site you please.

I suggest you take your notebook into the airport and try it before you worry about getting signal at your place... It may not be what you expect.

7. muchspl2

ok, I didn't know that.
    thanks

8. muchspl2

well just thinking about it now and I have never had a wireless nic card, I always believed wired was the fastest so this is my first, is there a good nic card, one I might be able to "modify" later if need be, I'd rather not have to buy 2 separate cards. :hs:

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

basically anything can be modified. With most cards, you would solder something onto their internal antenna. However, some cards already have a connector so that you can connect an external antenna. This are very popular for "wardriving".

www.netstumber.com has some good info on this.