Best "next move" for better sound quality? v.SUV audio

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by BlazinBlazer Guy, Feb 28, 2007.

1. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

So right now I'm running with stock speakers and an Alpine CDA-9856 H/U in my '02 GMC Envoy; and I'm about at the point where I am sick of the still poor sound quality. The H/U helped a LOT, but I know there's more I can do.

Right now, I'm trying to do a project for ~$200 or less that will boost the quality I'm getting, but I don't really know where to go with it next. I was looking and I can either get a decent Alpine v-power amp for around that and keep the stock speakers, or I could get a set of Alpine s-series components for the front doors and a matching pair of 2-way coaxes for the back doors for about $170.

My question is, what's my best bet for right now to make things better? And why? This will have to last me until fall (~October) when I will have the money to add the next piece of the puzzle to my system. And yes, I'm doing all the installation personally.

:x:

2. MaximaDrvr

MaximaDrvr Member

An amp will would be the best first move.
    Then in October you can upgrade the speakers to something better quality.

3. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

I would personally get new speakers first. Using an aftermarket amp on speakers that were not meant to have more power flowing to them than the stock HU will probably sound like crap. Just my opinion, I think you will notice a huge difference by upgrading the speakers first.

4. ngsm13

ngsm13 New Member

Get the speakers first, then amp them.

5. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

That's kinda what I was thinking, too, but at the same time I do have to remember I'm going for sound quality, and not volume. So really, having more power means the amp will not have to work as hard and won't cause signal distortion before it even gets to the speakers. However, like you said, the stock speakers aren't designed to have more power pushed through them, and being just basic speakers they're probably close to wearing out after this much time.

So :dunno: I guess the debate is over which weak link is the biggest bottleneck...

Anyone else have any ideas? :x:

Thanks again!

6. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

New speakers without a doubt.