Best Mobo+CPU for $300

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by AbortionSurvivor, Feb 28, 2005.

1. AbortionSurvivor

AbortionSurvivor Active Member

AMD or Intel. OCing is a definite option.

What Mobo and CPU can i get for about $300. I'd like to play games like HL2, Doom3, and the newer ones coming out.

Mobo should have dual channel RAM and PCIexpress.

2. FreeSpace

FreeSpace Guest

3. AbortionSurvivor

4. FreeSpace

FreeSpace Guest

5. Muchacho_Gasolino

Muchacho_Gasolino New Member

www.zipzoomfly.com usually has awesome cpu/mobo bundles, i would recommend you one but for some reason their site wont load right now

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

stay away from chaintec.

also search my threads, I've recommended several systems who's combos you can use.

7. AbortionSurvivor

you seem to recommend the MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum.
    Form what i read in the specs, it doesn't have PCI-X.

Is there something similar with PCI-X?

8. JohnDoe

JohnDoe Guest

I have a chaintech and have had absolutely no problems.

9. FreeSpace

FreeSpace Guest

Yeah, you seem to hate brands that everyone else likes, such as Gigabyte.

Tell me: How many faulty Chaintech boards have you seen? This thing is better engineered than any other board I have ever used.

Oh, and the I/O shield plate is 1mm thick STEEL, not that Asus tinfoil crap.

10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

aluminum > steel

it's not supposed to be the most rigid thing ever -- it's there for electromagnetic shielding... And aluminum doesn't rust.

11. Keyzs

Keyzs OT Supporter

What makes it 'better engineered'? How many other boards have you used?

(Not to defend the ogre but your comments seem to be more and more rhetorical)

12. FreeSpace

FreeSpace Guest

I'm just talking about the cooling, layout, build quality, etc. It's better than my ASRock, or my FIC, or even my Dual CPU Server/Workstation board. You know, the Gigabyte.

The I/O plate is 1mm thick steel, for example. You know, little things like that that add up and make the board a step above the rest.

Just buy one and you'll see. There are little gems out there.

13. Keyzs

Keyzs OT Supporter

I have bought MANY motherboards, and personally I avoid Chaintec also. I have had bad luck with almost everyone I have tried. What really does a motherboard have todo with cooling? (Oh wait your the one who does not use thermal paste...) Build quality, do you mean you have parts falling off? And that layout is so dependent to a good system.

Sorry but you seem to be the one who only likes what you have experience with. (You are little more polite about it than others)

14. FreeSpace

FreeSpace Guest

What kind of bad luck?

Oh, by the way, I didn't use thermal gel because I am currently out. I usually don't have much to begin with.

Hey, at least I don't harass people for their beliefs, like Ogre. Why is he so mean? I know he can be a nice person if he tries...Everyone can.

15. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

It's probably better than ALL 3 of those...because all 3 of those brands aren't top quality. ASRock i will give the benefit of the doubt...i've never used them before. From what i hear they aren't great for overclocking and overall quality is poor...but like i said i have no personal experience.

However, FIC and Gigabyte i have used. And both are absolutely crap unless you run 24/7 stock system. (MY experience...i am in NO WAY saying that everyone has this problem)

Chaintech i would say is better than all 3 of those brands becasue they are all very low quality. But there are alot better brands than Chaintech, and they are sometimes cheaper. In terms of popularity and succesful usage...i have yet to see a hardcore overclocker use a Chaintech product in there system. Even there video cards aren't popular for most people.

16. FreeSpace

FreeSpace Guest

Actually, ASRock is Asus' value brand, and is Asus engineered, manufactured, and marketed. Their overall quality is very high, hence their popularity.

Also, the Gigabyte dual CPU board is the most advanced SMP Socket A board around, hence why I bought it. If you REALLY want a crappy board, look at the Tyan Tiger MP. Now that deserves the "Shit of the Century" award. It won't even post with a 9700 Pro, but it will with a 9800 Pro.

Oh, and to as the FIC being a "stock" board? That was the must have OCing board for Super Socket 7 systems at the time, hence why you still see people using it today. It also has a rep for enduring years of abuse. The Rev. 1.0 wasn't that great, but the Rev. 1.1 and 1.2 boards were stellar (I have a 1.2A, w00t! I can run a K6-2+/K6-III+ in it).

I've also used those OEM boards from Compaq/HP systems, such as Mitac (I was actually quite impressed), and Trigem (Crap!). Never, ever were they used in my main rig. I just evaluated them, and shipped them off. My friend has the Mitac board and he likes it a lot (And he is extremely hardware savvy).

My first non-out of date system I ever owned was a Celeron-500 with a TNT2, and I bought it from a local shop. It had a pretty decent AOpen board in it. It was very stable, and it did have lots of features for an mATX board at the time.

17. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

there are many brands that are owned by parent companies. ECS is affiliated with Abit -- did you know that? But just because they share the same parent, or base designs off another, that does not give them high quality... ASRock is definitely low-grade.

Yea, uh, no. Your gigabyte board is not great. end thread.

Wow... just wow!

Wait, when was a celery 500 ever non-out-of-date? And tnt2? not out of date? And Aopen.. yea, uh OMGLOL!

There are just so many things wrong with your post...

18. FreeSpace

FreeSpace Guest

Oh, I'm sorry, that rig was preconfigured, and was well worth the $900 I spent on it.

By the way, there is no need to be hostile in your posts.

Let's just say that I'm a Chaintech fan, end of story. Now, for the last time:

How many faulty Chaintech boards have you encountered?

EDIT: By the way, that C-500 was a great budget rig for the time, back in 2000. You should have seen it run Descent 3 and FreeSpace.

19. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

every chaintech board I have encountered has been faulty. I have never sold them (and would never consider it). The 100 or so that crossed my path were very crappy...

20. FreeSpace

FreeSpace Guest

Every one? Now you're stretching it. I'm going to laugh pretty hard.

Maybe a Yugo would be like that, but not a motherboard.

21. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

READ THE POST!

I said EVERY... I mean EVERY. I say you're a dumbass, and yea, I mean that too. If I say it, I mean it.

Now, take this in CONTEXT... But I won't get too mad at you, you'll learn about "context" in your middle school grammar classes :rofl:

context : I have never sold that CRAP... Therefore every chaintech system I touch is seriously fucked... Coincidentially, however, it always seems to be the mobo that's fucked. interesting, indeed! The fact that you prefer chaintech to msi/asus/intel is pathetic -- although I do get a good chuckle every time you post to that effect. :rofl:

22. FreeSpace

FreeSpace Guest

Um, sure. The MSI master has 50% of the features this thing does. The Asus model is almost non-existant. Tyan's TigerMP? Don't get me started. They made ECS look like Buddha.

There were A FEW faulty boards, but if you get one of the many that work (Like me!), it really is a highly-dependable, stable, fast SMP board.

People thoerize it was AMD's fault for shipping chipsets to Gigabyte that had bad pathways for CPU detection, because there really wasn't anything else in the machine controlling it, besides the BIOS, which wasn't the problem.

You should take a chill pill. They will ban you if you keep this up, man.

EDIT: Your rants really give me a good chuckle. I love great rants, hence why I hang out here and at Tzedek's location.

23. 01000101

01000101 New Member

why must every thread fall down the 'flame jollyogre' hole?

[​IMG]

this is the internet! his opinion is just as valid as yours, stfu

24. FreeSpace

FreeSpace Guest

I'm sorry, but:

#1: I wasn't flaming

#2: He was insulting shit I paid good money for, and know a great deal more about than he does.

Dude, I'm not flaming this guy anymore. There's no point.