MMA best MMA...err...Ultimate Fighting article evar

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Atmosphere, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

http://www.dailygate.com/articles/2008/08/26/sports/03.txt#blogcomments

Fort Madison to host UFC competition Saturday

By Chris Faulkner/MVM News Network

Published: Tuesday, August 26, 2008 1:22 PM CDT
    FORT MADISON - To the uninitiated and the uninformed, the sport known as UFC (Ultimate Fighting Championships) sounds like a mother's worst nightmare. It involves wrestling, boxing and various forms of martial arts, and in its early stages as an event featured essentially no holds barred fighting.

It could bring to mind the old joke:

Adult son: Guess what, Mom? I've joined an Ultimate Fighting team, and we have our first event this weekend.

Mother: No way! You take part in something that dangerous and I'll kill you!

But after closer inspection and looking at the “modern” (post-1990s) version of the sport, it's clear that this isn't just “human cockfighting” as it was brandished as in the early days.

In one sense, think of the triple jump in track, which takes three elements - hop, skip and jump - and puts them in one event; maybe the all-around gymnastics event, combining the four events - albeit separately - for one overall score.

Ultimate Championship Fighting combines the skills of boxing, wrestling, jujitsu and kickboxing into one fight. It also comes under the heading of mixed martial arts.

Instead of using just one type of move, a UFC competitor must be prepared to attack with, or defend, several types of offensive elements.

Fighters win by a knockout, submission (the opponent gives up), the referee stops the bout or a panel of judges declares a winner.

But the best way to appreciate UFC, according to promoter Charles Craft of Fort Madison, is to attend the first ever UFC competition at Fort Madison High School. It starts at 7 p.m. Saturday at Fort Madison High School's gym. Nine bouts are on the card, with several of them five-round, three-minute title bouts for various weight class belts. Non-championship events are three rounds of three minutes each.

Craft, the CEO of American Combat Sports and a recruiter for the Iowa National Guard, said Pat Millitich of Davenport founded the improved version of the sport.

“It takes the best pieces of everything (wrestling, jujitsu, etc.) and puts it into one fighting system,” Craft said.

For the record, Iowa does not sanction or regulate the sport. “For the promoters, it's up to their own consciences,” Craft said.

But he's not about to risk more negative publicity with sloppy procedures.

In addition to the number of restrictions that have been added since the sport began, “I've taken elbows out,” Craft said. “More injuries come from elbow strikes.”

The Lee County Ambulance will be at the meet, along with a ringside physician. Each fighter gets a full physical during the weigh-ins.

Not only are there no deaths associated with ultimate fighting, Craft has yet to see any serious injuries during his promoted bouts.

Unlike other sports where once you start, you can't bail out, many UFC fights end in “tap-outs.” If a fighter is in a choke hold or is losing badly, he can tap on the mat or his opponent, and the fight is over.

Fighters cannot be paid, but they do get reimbursed for travel expenses, and they also can arrange for sponsorship money from a business for advertising purposes.

Keokuk will be sending two teams to the bout: Dog Pound and Team Disciples, a Christian group coached by a minister.

Dan McGlasson of the Dog Pound fight team has been training for a year-and-a-half. He's the interim Middleweight champion, and he'll be going for a belt at the Fort Madison event.

At 29, he's not considered too old for competition, but he had to improve his lifestyle to get into shape.

“Honestly, I got in the sport to calm down my outside habits,” McGlasson said. “I was getting into too many street fights. I didn't want to end up going to jail.”

He wrestled in high school, but “my strong point is my jujitsu.” McGlasson said he's self-taught in that martial art.

Since taking up ultimate fighting, “I'm in the best shape of my life. It's a little hard juggling being a single parent, training and working, but I manage.”

As for the alleged barbaric image of the sport, McGlasson said, “Don't judge it until you watch it.” He said people he knows who have a watched a bout have come away with a better view of the sport.

2. MyLittleAirport

MyLittleAirport OT Supporter

3. Phill A. Peno

Phill A. Peno It's Filipino, stupid. OTTC, Cycling Crew, WRX Cr OT Supporter

nice read, me and a couple of buddies are gonna play NFL at the park. Anyone else in?

4. brock3931

brock3931 OT Supporter

My sons love to play MLB. We go out back and I toss the ball while they try to hit it.

5. Optamix

Optamix New Member

Gotta give it to the UFC. They have successfully pulled a "Band Aid"

The Brand is now synonymous with the Product.

6. teep

teep New Member

you just read about that in your marketing textbook at work?

i couldn't even get through the article

what do other brands call "band aids"?

7. Optamix

Optamix New Member

Self Adhesive bandage.

We covered them in school, the text book I'm reading now is marketing on the internet.

8. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

bandages

9. teep

teep New Member

:uh: lol had a bit of a brain fart there

10. LOLSTi

LOLSTi DTOM

Brb going to make a Xerox.

11. HouseLing

HouseLing When masturbations lost its fun you'r fucking lazy

i hear that one all the time :o

fucking horrible article

12. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

you should google it

13. damiand

damiand Proceed

And as sad as this is, this is why no one gives a shit about MMA, because no one really watches MMA. When people say Im going to the watch the fights, its always UFC. It is what it is, UFC is MMA. Done deal!

14. Beepsandbuzzes

Beepsandbuzzes New Member

Article seems fine to me, what is your problem with it? Do you have any actual criticism instead of :rofl: or :ugh:?

15. Beepsandbuzzes

Beepsandbuzzes New Member

So some people less in the know call MMA "Ultimate fighting", who gives a fuck about that?

16. teep

teep New Member

it's just very poorly written and the author is obviously misinformed/unknowledgeable. a 12 year old could write better. you shouldn't write articles on subject matters you know nothing about.
    :rofl: at the guy who says jiu jitsu is his strong point and he's self taught. "since taking up ultimate fighting i'm in the best shape of my life" wow. just fucking wow.

17. HouseLing

HouseLing When masturbations lost its fun you'r fucking lazy

there's mnumerous errors and misstatements, if I was at home and bored I could pick of apart. :dunno:

18. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

if the information is incorrect, then it's poor journalism, which is a cardinal sin in the industry

check and double check your facts

on top of that, to say that the writing is pedestrian would be giving the author too much credit