WEB best method to switch hosts

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Franchise, Sep 7, 2008.

1. Franchise

Franchise New Member

What is the best method in switching hosts and keeping all of your links and website information in tact. Would it be just switch DNS, download everything and upload on new host and everything should be fine with minimal changing needed?

2. Browning

Browning Active Member

depends on what kind of site I suppose:dunno:

3. Ricky

Ricky █▄ █▄█ █▄ ▀█▄

tar cf backup.tar *

:dunno:

4. intrktevo

intrktevo New Member

basically you need to copy over the files, database, and then just change your passwords to match what they are on the new webhost.

if its a big site, warn in advance. bring site down with htaccess file, and only allow access from your IP while you sort things out. once everything is working, allow everyone back on.

5. DnA02

DnA02 Hey, how YOU doin?! OT Supporter

if you have cpanel/whm (on the old and new server) you can do a cpanel complete backup (takes care of all files and databases) then restore the website with whm on the new server

This is what I do. I would send the backup file server to server to make it quick

6. Franchise

Franchise New Member

The site is a very basic site with no database implementation or mysql connectivity. Just webpages and thats basically it. I think just copy and paste will work the best, wanted to her some other feedback

Thanks

7. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

I have a host-related question.... If I'm trying to learn HTML/CSS/JS to design web sites, should I be doing this on a live server or can I do it locally? I have a live enviroment (domain is about to expire, it's a cheap shared hosting account) but it's been sitting idle for 6 months. It's probably going to be another few months to get HTML/CSS down well enough to design sites I have pictured in my head, and a good few months for JS after.

I was thinking on just cancelling that account and saving a few bucks, but it wouldn't be that much money saved in the long run... any ideas?

Cliffs: Live enviroment vs Local enviroment for learning client-based languages (HTML/CSS/JS)

8. intrktevo

intrktevo New Member

local environment is great because you don't have to upload to see changes.

If you're just doing html/css/js, you can open those files with no extra software so you should be set to do stuff locally already.

if you have no site up atm, might as well save a few bucks and cancel. if you want to keep the domain, just renew that on it's own

9. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

Yeah, that's why I was thinking local had its advantages for HTML, CSS and JS, since all of those don't need any server-side stuff installed.

I probably won't use the expiring domain again :hs: The only thing I'm worried about is showing examples of work I've done to people for help... like, if I needed help here :hsugh: I guess I can always just post the source though :hs: