Best methed to aim kicks

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by flynfrog, Jul 3, 2002.

1. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

my componet set shoule be here if loudsystem ever gets teh check i will be building ckicks i was jsut wonrding what the best way to aim them was

2. TotalEclipse02

TotalEclipse02 OT Supporter

Ay man,

Spelling?

But what component set are you getting? I know some sets are more sensitive to staging then others.

I guess the best way really is to listen to them (trial and error). You are already doing a great thing to your soundstage by actually doing kicks :)

Dan

3. LegendTodd

LegendTodd Guest

4. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

ive heard of peoepl using dowels and lazers to get it rouged in i want to aim it at teh base of the drivers head right?

5. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

6. MtotheIKEo

MtotheIKEo Air Suspension is ok

Read the audionutz article. That guy knows his shit.

7. TenSteel

TenSteel Ted Cruz suicide hotline OT Supporter

Here's some advice from Matt Borgardt, the Image Dynamics tech. I copy/pasted this from a post on Sound Domain awhile back. Here goes:

this will take two people to do.

List of things you need:

1) tape of some sort
    2) a ruler
    3) 4 foot long dowel rod
    4) some time

First you need to place a person in the drivers seat and set the seat in the far back position at a normal driving tilt, second have the person in the seat sit upright position, having done this look for the middle on the person ear,measure down 1.5 inches and then 5 inches forward. Now mark this with tape.

Repeat this in the pass side of the car, you can not copy the other side remember that everyone's ear are slightly higher on the right ( if I remember right ) but one of them is higher...

With the tape marks in place take the dowel rod from the opposite side and point to the tape marks, this is the angle you should set your kicks with. Repeat on the other side of the car.

the tape goes on the window, you will be on the outside and your friend will be on the inside of the car...you aim at the tape marks on the window.

Matt Borgardt
    ( AKA IDtech )

ImageDynamicsusa.com R&D/Tech

1 800 836 3051 EXT: 106

Car Sound Fabrication editor

Matt Borgardt on Fabrication.com

AIM: ImageDynamicsTEk

Another method:

Just went through aiming my tweets yesterday. A couple of observations...
    First. I used a tiny laser pointer I got from the local hardware store ($6 or so). Nice and easy. I was remounting some tweets that were in some QForms (I fabbed a backing plate from kitty hair with a mold of the tweet angle mount because there was an existing hole from the flush mount install). I am getting ready to fab up some kicks from scratch though and my intent is to secure the laser pointer to the baffle to make it even easier.

Second. I am beginning to redefine my understanding of "harsh" tweeters and the causes thereof. I aimed the kicks to intersect the opposite listeners head, so the far tweet is on axis and the near is off. Also, I have dealt with my underdash reflections earlier. Prior to doing these two things, the system could easily grow tiring to the ears. Definitely too harsh (even with the tweeters attenuated, which I couldn't understand). I have come to believe that as much as anything, a lot of the fatigue was caused by reflections (which created a completely lack of transparency and a "that speaker is right in my ear" kind of feeling). The "harsh" tweeters now sound VERY sweet (to me at least), very transparent. The soundstage moved out towards the hood as well as wider and more defined.

So, I have come to believe that not all harsh tweeters are harsh. Reflections and aiming seem to play a big part in transparency. Which, when lacking seems to create an "in your ear" feel that is very harsh. Most would say that the BA Pro (Neo5T) tweet is pretty harsh, but to my untrained ear, it sounds sweet (I am actually a soft dome fan, this is my first hard dome tweet) in my current install.

Just my limited observations..

8. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

hm i cnat wait till my speakers get here ill try to make a how to glass post for refrence if i turn out to be any good at it