MMA best martial art for fighting

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by ralph, Oct 12, 2006.

?

What martial art do you think is most effective in a street fight?

1. BJJ

8 vote(s)
    17.0%
  2. Muay Thai

26 vote(s)
    55.3%
  3. Boxxing

10 vote(s)
    21.3%
  4. Something Else

3 vote(s)
    6.4%
  1. ralph

ralph driver her like you stole her

i've been doing combat hapkido for about 4 months and am starting to wonder if it is realistic in helping one in a fight.

2. Bausk

Bausk New Member

All of the above. If only one... boxing.

3. shiba

shiba Active Member

jujitsu. though it dosent hurt to learn how to punch and kick.

4. CyberEye

CyberEye Oh god, the voices

definatley Wing Chun!!
    Or Tae Kwon Do, then you can awe your opponant by your ability to kick really really high.

5. bpa00

bpa00 New Member

It seems to me that many of the top fighters have one or more of the following... bjj, kick boxing, and/or wrestling. Boxing definitely seems to be a good additional skill for "ground guys" such as Nogera to pick up... You have your strikers w/ good ground/take-down defense... your submission fighters with good take downs/striking defense, and your wrestlers with good ground in pound...

I'll vote BJJ since almost all fights end up on the ground at some point...

*edit*

Duh... I missed "street fighting"... I'd still probably go with BJJ as most street fighters won't have a clue what to do if you get them on the ground...

6. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

boxing real fights never last long enough to be able to use BJJ

7. Bausk

Bausk New Member

Most street fights I've seen are one punch, or broken up as soon as they hit the ground. If you are in a situation that could last longer, you're better off trying to get the fuck out of there... or you probably wanted to be there.

8. Kozzy McKoz

Kozzy McKoz OT Supporter

muay thai is probably the most dynamic striking art. i really love the clinch

9. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

as a foundation, you want solid wrestling, and/or bjj. This way, you are the one who controls the tempo of the fight, and can keep it standing or bring it to the ground at will.

10. chackrafool

chackrafool New Member

Muay thai hands down because people rarely fight one-on-one, or atleast there's always a possibility that his friends will jump in.
    Ofcourse the best art is MMA.

11. GSPFAN

GSPFAN New Member

Most fights outside of the ring/cage I have seen or been in started with a couple strikes and then to the ground. I think BJJ would be best with that in mind but MT would be a close 2nd, man imagine street fighting a guy and getting him in a solid clinch and taking control from there, I would like to see that street fight haha.

12. Bausk

Bausk New Member

Muay Thai is a 1v1 sport... if someone's friends jump in all you need to work on is cardio and running the fuck away.

13. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

In krav maga, whenever we did 2 on 1s, one of the best things the 1 could do was to thai clinch one attacker so that he would swing him around and use him as a shield after softening him up with a knee or two. It was actually quite difficult for the other attacker to reach the 1 as long as he kept the other guy under control with the clinch.

14. Bausk

Bausk New Member

2v1 drills? Or did you actually spar 2v1 live? Because I have a hard time believing any 2v1 work except in the movies.

15. chackrafool

chackrafool New Member

1v1 sport yea, but I thought we were talking about street fighting.
    You're training to kick and punch, elbow etc...all of which is more effective to use on many opponents, so it's more practical to use this on two people. Unlike a RNC which can only be done on one person while his other friend takes aim.

16. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

Kinda half and half. They attacked you and hit you, not tried to kickbox with you and work on their technique. Just straight out arms flying and pushing. I don't doubt there is not much you can do against 2 TRAINED fighters who want to fight, not just attack.

17. bpa00

bpa00 New Member

Most of the fights that I've seen outside the ring/cage have been between drunk guys wildly throwing sloppy punches... I think any trained fighter would easily be able to knock one these idiots out (or choke them out)...

18. CrazyInteg

CrazyInteg Honda-Acura.net OG

mauy thai > boxing because boxing is a subset of muay thai.

I think it's pretty tough decision on MT versus BJJ. I would almost vote BJJ because more people are going to know how to box, so once you get them on the ground, they will most likely be fucked.

Of course this in a street fight situation, so I would just take Bas Rutten's advice and kick the guy in the balls. "I believe in two eyes for an eye!"

19. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

lol you can't choose a style based on how it does against mulitple opponents... What if all of your opponents are collegiate wrestlers with purple belts in bjj? They only need to send 1 to beat you if you only have standup technique.

In a multiple opponent scenario, you absolutely must NOT fight if possible.

That brings it down to what style is most effective 1 vs 1, and it would have to be some sort of grappling foundation (wrestling, bjj, etc). Having just muay thai will not give you enough control over a superior grappler, and if you can't scramble well, and it goes to the ground, its over.

20. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

Obviously if someone is a better fighter than you and can whoop you in a 1v1, then in a 2v1 you have no chance. Hopefully most of us aren't stupid enough to start fights with multiple pro fighters. But agaisnt 2 relatively untrained opponents I think its good to have some kind of plan of action atleast. If you have a decent plan you can act more quickly and surprise em since they prolly won't even expect you to fight back. We've all seen the skaterdude versus 4 jocks or the romanian boxer versus the two guys who hit his girl. Having a plan that you can quickly execute is definetley going to give you a better chance.

21. CrazyInteg

CrazyInteg Honda-Acura.net OG

So you just assume that you're always going to fight a grappler?

22. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

no but that is the worst case scenario.

If you go against 4 guys who know nothing (all worse than you in striking and grappling), chances are they will start swinging. Will knowing ANYTHING stop punches from multiple ppl? No.

If you go against 4 guys who are good at boxing/muay thai, you are still fucked regardless of what you do.

If you go against 4 guys who are excellent grapplers (far worse scenario than above 2), they only have to really send in 1 guy if you don't know how to grapple and they will win.

NO MARTIAL ART prepares you for multiple attackers whether you want to believe it or not. I don't care if they say they do in wing chun, karate, kung fu, muay thai, boxing, jiu jitsu, ANYTHING, its just not going to work against 4 people who attack you all at the same time.

You may argue: "oh but I can knock one out, then move on to the next one...". Well they can also knock YOU out, and much more easily than it is for you to KO one of them.

you may argue: "well I will grapple them one at a time". If you are a complete hardass and accept the punishment that 3 of the other guys are going to give you while you are grappling one, then sure go ahead, but still not good.

23. Titus

Titus New Member

if a bunch of people are trying to jump you, knowing bjj, muay thai, wrestling etc doesn't help. you either have to get away, starting swinging, or gnp the shit out of one guy and get your ass beat by the others... regardless, it's not going to work out in your favor.

24. Titus

Titus New Member

i agree, we're taught to standup/scramble when someone is on top of us. i can't tell you how many thousands of times i've drilled my standup...

25. axio

axio New Member

When did we get a m/a forum and why don't I live in here? :o

There isn't one. Anyone that says otherwise is either lying or hasn't been in a fight against a real fighter. My sifu said that the best way to get out of a fight is to shut up, swallow your pride, and take it out in the gym.