GUN Best Long Range Scope

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by nycmatt49, Jan 25, 2004.

1. nycmatt49

nycmatt49 Guest

Hey guys,

I just got a Les Baer Thunder Ranch rifle, .223. Got the Leupold CQ/T 3x scope for it, which is a great scope, but it's not doing it for me at 100+ yards. I was wondering what you all felt was the best scope out there for 'long' range shooting.

2. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

swarovski :o it depends on how much you want to spend...

3. nycmatt49

nycmatt49 Guest

ya. i don't mind spending up to a couple of thousand or so on a scope. just depends on features and how badass and accurate it is.

4. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

I couldnt afford to spend a couple thousand on a rifle, let alone a scope :eek4: Swarovski, zeiss, leupold, etc all make nice scopes. Mid South Shooters Supply has a good prices and a decent selection categorized by power, you can check them out here: http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/deptsearch3x.asp?dept=OPTICS&dept2=SCOPES&dept3=RIFLE

5. smell my finger

smell my finger strive nonetheless towards beauty and truth,

6. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

you shouln't be having problems with a leupold. my best friend uses a leupold VXIII fixed 10x on his PSS. while it's not zeiss or swarovski, it's also not an arm and a leg. once you get that high in price, you're paying for less and less actual improvement. but, there is improvement. the VXIII goes for about $700. get GOOD rings. badger rings are the best. my friend uses the badgers meant for .50 BMG rifles, which have 3 allen screws on each side of the tube per ring, but he says they're overkill. they will always work, though. he's got a badger mount for his PSS too.

7. nycmatt49

nycmatt49 Guest

Those USOPTICS scopes look incredible. Definitely look much nicer than any other's I've seen. I'm going to check on prices tomorrow, but I'm sure they are pretty pricey.

8. smell my finger

smell my finger strive nonetheless towards beauty and truth,

i believe he didn't like the leupold for longer ranges as it's a red dot scope with a 3x max zoom,

9. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

i knew it was a red dot, but i didn't know the magnification on it. that would explain it. i like red dots for quick target acquisition. they are NOT good for precision shooting. i wouldn't mind having a good aimpoint, but iron sights are my thing. i'll stick with them until i've got all my other gear done. THEN i'll buy an aimpoint or an acog.

10. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Uh, yeah, the CQ/T is pretty much the blacksheep of the Leupold family.

Since you're talking like you'd be willing to drop the cash, i'd look at the US Optics SN-3 Mk2 or Mk3, those will pretty much take you to the usable range of the 5.56mm.

11. nycmatt49

nycmatt49 Guest

I love the CQ/T. The Thunder Ranch + that scope is ideal for checking out noises aroung the house at night. But ya, After 50 yards, it's tough to be very accurate with it. I will check into those US Optics