Best linux distro

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by elixir4001, Oct 4, 2006.

1. elixir4001

elixir4001 New Member

I've been looking into linux for a little while now and i was just wondering what distro i should go with. I've used the ubuntu, knoppix, and suse live cds. But what distro is the easiest/noobiest/best one out there?

2. copeland

copeland smarter than you

supposedly ubuntu is the distro but I can't even get mine to install...

3. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

I used Fedora Core 5 by Red Hat before I learned about Ubuntu and they Synaptic Package Manager....now I'm a huge Ubuntu fan. The SPM d/l all your dependancies for you so when you install software, it just works. Plus Ubuntus website has some VERY helpful guides. Combined with Automatix and EasyUbuntu (2 different programs that take a raw Ubuntu installation and add all sorts of commonly used software) and IMO Ubuntu is the best on the market.

I didn't even mention the community either but it's fantastic, friendly and very knowledgable. IMO this is one of the biggest selling points for Ubuntu.

4. Coottie

You can't?? Have you posted about it??

5. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

All the same to me...

ubuntu and fedora seem to be the easiest to install according to other people.

6. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

7. elixir4001

elixir4001 New Member

awesome, ubuntu seemed the best to me of the 3 i tried. So looks like after i get my ram put in today im installing ubuntu....and what should i do about installation? should i go dual boot (winXP), or straight ubuntu? are there pros/cons to doing one over the other?

8. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

Unless you've got a tiny harddrive, there's nothing wrong with giving XP a few gigabytes.

If you're happy that you're network card and all work on Ubuntu (from using the livecd), then there's no danger in wiping Windows (I'm sure you'll handle life in Ubuntu).

9. Coottie

It's obviously your call but I like to only have one OS per drive. Call me paranoid but I'm not convinced that OS companies work to ensure that their OS doesn't overstep it's bounds and screw something else up. So I put each drive in a removable tray that has external access.....this makes for quick swapping of drives but requires a power down.

If you haven't tried Automatix for ubuntu, I seriously recommend it....although not all of the packages because there are some that are laptop only and they may screw up your network connection....they did on mine and I can't get it fixed...it's apparantly a bug in ubuntu.

10. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

Ubuntu does, since it's a user-centric OS (otherwise it'd be blasted into oblivion, and that's not quite what's happening). Based on the fact that Windows overwrites the master boot record by default without giving the user a chance to not have their bootloader demolished, well, you can draw your own conclusions.