Best Laptop for game design and animation?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by sirmark, Jun 25, 2004.

1. sirmark

sirmark HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I am going to enter the field of game design and animation. My desktop computer is a 3.2 p4 and loaded. What i am looking for is a laptop that will compliment this system. I dont need a desktop replacement but rather something that will handle the same software such as maya and photoshop but be portable. Battery life is fairly important as i would like to be able to use this computer in class. I also am not sure if i should go with a mac or pc. If i go with a mac it probably will not work very well with my desktop. Thanks for looking any help would be appreciated.

2. hay112

hay112 For every sprinkle I find I shall kill you

3. Stev

Stev Active Member

get the Dell XPS, customize it for yourself. You will not only get a better video card then the previously mentioned E-Machines laptop... but u can upgrade it later, and in your field that is a priority.

and when u get a top of the line notebook from a bargain company for cheap... u get what u pay for.

4. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

I just picked up the following custom Compaq Presario R3000 for $1809 and it screams! In addition to having the Athlon 64 3400+, it also has the highest resolution of any laptop I looked at.

Compaq Presario R3000Z customize notebook
    - AMD Athlon(TM) 64 3400+ 2.20 GHz
    - Microsoft(R) Windows(R) XP Professional
    - 1.0GB DDR SDRAM (2x512MB)
    - 30 GB 4200 RPM Hard Drive (Immediately Replaced with a 60 GB 7200 RPM HDD)
    - DVD/CDRW Combo Drive
    - 54g(TM) Integ. Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN & Bluetooth
    - 15.4" WVA WUXGA (1920x1200)
    - 64MB NVIDIA(R) GeForce(TM) 4 440 Go +1394 & 5-in-1
    - Microsoft(R) Works/Money
    - Extra 12 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (Two Batteries Total)
    - Built in 3.5" Floppy Drive

5. Stev

Stev Active Member

lol.. almost had a panic attack when i saw your HD :big grin:... nice Lappy BTW.

6. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

Yeah. The HD options from Compaq were all 4200 RPM, so I just got the smallest one. I swapped the drives out and did a fresh install of everything before I even turned it on the first time. :)

7. StevesVR4

StevesVR4 Get Arrested

If you have a ton of money to spend:
    IBM ThinkPad T series or $3362
    Pentium M 745 (1.8Ghz)
    15" UXGA LCD (1600x1200)
    ATI Mobility FireGL T2 128MB
    1GB RAM (or drop to 768MB and save $385)
    60GB 7200RPM hard drive
    Integrated Gigabit Ethernet
    Integrated Intel Pro/Wireless 2200BG

The professional OpenGL card by ATI (FireGL video card) will be far better for 3D animation compared to the previously listed systems, but it comes with a high price tag.

8. Shaggy007

Shaggy007 New Member

If you're looking for doing design and animation, a mac is still the way to go. To put it simply it's just what mac's do. I'm not a fan of mac's but I can respect what they're good at and design is what they're good at. I wouldn't really worry too much about transfering files though, that has gotten much better over the years to where you shouldn't really have any issues.

9. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

i agree. i don't usually recommend mac, but it is what you are looking for in this case

won't be cheap tho

10. col_panic

11. sirmark

sirmark HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I still think i decided on the thinkpad simply because the programming side of game design. That is the one thing tha mac lacks. But they are awesome at what they do best i got to mess with one yesterday.

12. LIQUID

LIQUID #HarambeBless

man laptops are getting to be fast :eek2:

13. lordbean

lordbean Guest

yeah the technology in laptops is starting to catch up to their desktop equivalents these days, there's some rather powerful laptops on the market now.

14. Squally

Squally New Member

What company have you heard of that uses macs for game design and animation? If you are worried about battery life stay away from the p4s with ht, they are great processors but suck the life out of a battery, I have a p4m 1.4ghz, 512 memory, 15.4 uxga screen (1920 x 1200). the battery life is excellent, about 4 hours running nfs underground at max performance straight.

If you are dead set on getting a laptop, look at ones that are designed for video editing, because those are also under a tremendous load.

15. Shaggy007

Shaggy007 New Member

Pixar uses them for a lot of their animation, as well as dreamworks. Also Rockstar uses them for various things, like the loading screnes in GTA. Also when he mentioned animation, I think cut scenes. If it's actual gameplay design, and animation, meh (self) :slap: .

16. Squally

Squally New Member

ah, i wasn't sure if he meant 3d animation or not. i'm not biased, just like what i've been working with, and every mac i've been on has given me hassles. I also went to a company here that makes video games and they all hate mac, when they said that i just started laughing. I mean really what can a mac do that's so much better? I'm not trying to start anything or talk down macs, but I just don't understand why people that believe in them think they do everything so much better. :dunno:

17. col_panic

i don't think they do everything better at all. but probably the strongest supporting market for apple since creation (except maybe schools) has been graphic design. the mac has historically had better performance than x86 in this area. as for development, my friend develops on his dual G5 at home and he knows what he needs, so it must be a decent development platform.

they are expensive though - i would love one (if someone bought it for me)

18. Squally

Squally New Member

Yea i do graphic design too, not print, just web stuff, and i've been doing just fine on my pc. I was on a mac at school and they just kept screwing up, but when they didn't they were fine but I couldn't even tell a difference between the two, except the schools didn't have a better mouse, working on computer with a single mouse button sucks so much.

19. col_panic

hehe. spoken like a true windows person. personally i prefer no mouse at all :)

20. Stinga

Stinga Guest

Alienware

21. sirmark

sirmark HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Alienware laptops battery life blows. I am leaning towards an IBM Thinkpad 1.7 pentium m ((not p4m)) with 512 ram and still trying to decide on the video card.. i want to get enuff but not to much. I also want it to last a little while at least and i know you cant just upgrade the video on a laptop so might as well pay a little more. Ne suggestions?