Best Laptop for ~$500

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by undirected, Dec 1, 2007.

1. undirected

undirected Guest

Long story short, my mom fried her laptop and needs a new one. The only thing she really uses it for aside from e-mail and web surfing is a program called C-Print (click) for her business, which has very limited system requirements. I realize that 500 bones isn't going to get me a super computer, but I also know that it goes a lot further nowadays than it used to.

I'm looking at the following

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...24300+-+%24400

Are any of these worth a shit? Would I be better off just buying a prefab from Dell for around that price? Theoretically she could go a little higher than 500 bucks since it will be a tax write-off anyways as it is technically a business computer, but she'd like to keep it around half a grand because money is tight right now.

The other one that I'm considering over the rest is the Dell Inspiron 1501 for $599 which comes with a gig of ram, XP/Vista, a dual core AMD processor, and 120 gig hard drive. I have had good experiences buying direct from Dell in the past so I'm thinking that's probably the best bang for my buck.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

mike

2. Chris

Chris New Member

Well, you wouldn't want to get an Asus Eee because it has Linux, and it looks like the program she needs is Windows only

3. undirected

undirected Guest

Didn't even realize that, thanks. She seems to really want Vista because it's the new OS, but I tend to think she might want to get XP for this since the money won't buy a very robust computer. Doesn't vista need at least a couple gigs to run smoothly, or am I mistaken?

4. wabash9000

wabash9000 Active Member

5. Chris

Chris New Member

will work better with Vista than stock, but really, as you already said, at the price point your looking for hardware XP is really the only option. Yes a single core Sempron will run Vista, and the more RAM will help, but there are more factors than just RAM, hard drive access speed ect... that will still cause Vista to bog down