WEB best kind of host for a forum

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by millero, Jan 5, 2010.

1. millero

millero Aluminum Member

i have a vbulletin forum that gets somewhere around 15-18 million hits a month. i had it on a reseller account and recently got booted off of that because they said i used too much cpu. do any of you guys host or know anyone that hosts a forum of this size and what would be the minimum specs that i could use? would a vps suffice?

2. trev.the.enemy

trev.the.enemy New Member

15-18 million hits or visits per month?

hits = anytime any graphic or file is loaded on your site

if you had that many visits per month and have ad space up, you're likely driving a couple bmw's though :o

www.choopa.com - get a dedicated
    hit up andy on AIM - thejamesjordan (head of sales dept) tell him trev sent ya, you'll get a deal.. dunno what, but he'll take care of ya

3. millero

millero Aluminum Member

its hits. there is only 80-150 users online at any given time.
    i wish it were visits.

4. millero

millero Aluminum Member

the problem is im trying to pay for a yugo and get a porsche. i was paying 500/yr on an old shared hosting but was having issues with the host reliability. after a few years of that we left, and we got a reseller account (surpass hosting) for ~350/yr to host my forum and another tiny forum on it at the same time. this has been running fine for the last 2 months and today they had a drive go out in the raid array. so between my cpu usage and the rebuilding of the array, the server was crawling. they decided to suspend my domain without any warning (and i was on support chat with them 15 min prior). funny thing is the server load didnt seem to go down after my domain was suspended. but its a an embarrassment to have "account suspended" written on the page when your users are trying to get to a forum - especially with sponsors seeing the same thing.

5. trev.the.enemy

trev.the.enemy New Member

you definitely need a dedicated. :hs:

6. nindia

nindia OT Supporter

i have 3 "large" forums...two that get about 100-150 people visiting per day and one that gets 250-300 people per day (sometimes a lot more). this is members only, not including guests.

i pay 700 a month for a quarter rack at peer1...i sell webspace to a few local companies and it covers the majority of my expenses and this way i have my own shit and no one to tell me what i can or can't do!

7. dazmanultra

dazmanultra New Member

First thing you'll do when you get a dedicated is look to optimise your forum. ;)
    When it's YOUR CPU and other resources, you'll be a lot more careful. ;) Look to tweak Apache, MySQL, PHP (which can obviously be run under DSO with xcache or similar for better performance... not usually possible on shared hosts, which primarily use suPHP). Nginx is also an option to utilise - it can serve static requests very efficiently improving your memory usage and taking load off of Apache.

$100-$200 should get you a reasonable provider and a decent spec - look for at least dual or quad cores, 4GB of RAM, and you'll want two drives in RAID1 (remember RAID is not the same as backups!). If you're not comfortable with managing a server, you could look at getting a managed server, but there is a commensurate cost increase with this.

8. drpepper

drpepper Active Member

get a semi-dedicated plan on wiredtree.com for $99. i host my forum there and it has been able to handle up to 600 online at any time. and i run a bunch of hacks on it too.

9. millero

millero Aluminum Member

so would a vps handle it?

10. drpepper

drpepper Active Member

im sure a non oversold vps could handle it. go for something with 1gb of ram or more. the faster the harddrives the better.

11. Celtik

Celtik New Member

A dedicated will definitely be the best solution for this. Even if you do not currently need it at this moment, I'm sure you will at some point.