MIL Best jobs for officers

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by General Dissary, Jun 13, 2007.

1. General Dissary

General Dissary New Member

Hey all, I am not quite sure how exactly and officer chooses or is assigned a job and was wondering what would be the best route for an officer and what one can do to get there.

The way I understood it is that you can choose like 2 jobs you qualify for and the 3rd must be a combat arms branch and if they are hurting for said job they get to put you in it. Is this correct?

Also the job I had in mind was to be a MI officer, anyone have an idea of what I can do to get there or better my chances at it? Like degrees etc?

Thanks.

2. NEp8ntballer

NEp8ntballer New Member

Army?

as far as the air force goes, you fill out form based on which non rated positions you want. Some positions are rated and other positions have their own accessions cycle. There is also a sheet that comes out that says how many people they need in each non rated career field. You will get racked and stacked with everybody else and depending on how you rank will determine what jjob you are assigned. Another thing that will determine what you can put on your sheet is that some positions require a certain degree or a certain number of credit hours in some field.

3. JSin

JSin New Member

For the Army it depends on the route you take. I know West Pointers and ROTC guys get to pick their branch (or first station) if they add extra years to their commitment. But if you go OCS you get whatever the Army needs. Which changes weekly. And you won't get MI.

4. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

grinds

5. Bounty15

Bounty15 OT Supporter

West Pointers get to choose their duty station and branch based upon their ranking in their class at the Academy. ROTC are ranked nation wide and assigned based upon that I believe. There is also a program, which may not be around forever, that allows you to trade 3 additional years of active duty service for your choice of duty station or branch when available/offered. Your degree doesn't matter at all initially (it MIGHT later on in your career). The only places it might matter is if you wanted to become a doctor or lawyer.

6. seven

seven New Member

my roommate just went to MI training, he had to add 3 years to his contact to get MI. I think that's about the only way you can get MI, at least according to him.

And yeah, your major/degree does not matter, but try to get something respectable. I hate it when i see officers who get dumb degree's like tourism or chicken science. Get somehting you can use if you get out the service.

7. Noah

Noah The things we know best are the things we haven't OT Supporter

Infantry Officer!!

Excellent training, ability to get into normally "difficult to enter" schools/training, better opportunity to see the world and people of an ancient culture....and kill them.

MI is a bit tougher to get. Of my OCS Class, only a handful were branched into MI, most of that group was Prior-Service. Signal is another good branch. Friend of mine just finished Signal OBC and has reported to Ft. Drum.

:wavey:

8. MumblingJoe169

MumblingJoe169 New Member

im MI branch detailed to FA

i cant wait to start my FA training, i hear its pretty tough

9. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

10. Immortal1

Immortal1 New Member

you have none :mamoru:

think about your future, do you want to stay in for 20+ or get out early? while it may be hard to determine that now, you should think about this while choosing your branch choice.

if you branch, for instance, mi, even if you leave the military you would be a fool to not use your $$$$$$ security clearance, so plan on a pseudo-govt. job after your service...in contrast, branching something like engineering will afford you great job skills, depending on your actual job within engineering, which you can use in the private sector

some people just want to serve their commitment and get a private sector job, if you're one of these people, try and use your service as a stepping stone into a career afterwards

11. bloodred83

bloodred83 im in ur cost gard, savin' ur boatz

Best officer job? USCG C-130, HH-60, HH-65, MH-68 or HU-25 pilot.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2007
  12. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

Ah, I was working earlier and didn't put much thought into it.

13. Immortal1

Immortal1 New Member

no problemo, just thought it was kinda funny :wavey:

14. NEp8ntballer

NEp8ntballer New Member

are you serious about chicken science? the worst I've heard of is general studies

Last edited: Jun 14, 2007
  15. Bounty15

Bounty15 OT Supporter

I dunno, over 80 people got MI without tacking on 3 extra years in my class. That was almost 10 percent of the overall class. It is by no means a requirement if you do well enough and plan your path out.

16. General Dissary

General Dissary New Member

What are the pros of going signals? I hear you acquire some of the clearance and after service opportunities of MI, is that so?

Is there anything I can do that would involve flying helos? U guys know how strict they are in regards to height and eyesight?

17. burton564

burton564 New Member

I say go chemical corps.

HAHAHAHA

18. kidhero

kidhero not really a hero, really just a big fat phony

just masturbate at home

19. seven

seven New Member

yeah, it's called poultry science :rofl:.

some ag degrees are not that hard to get either...i saw one of my ag buddies course work once, and i saw a diagram of a cow with labels on it, it looked like it was cut out of a 4th grader workbook.

he's in pilot training right now

20. Immortal1

Immortal1 New Member

do you (or did you) go to west point? you mention your class being nearly 800 kids which is a shit load. we usually commission the 2nd highest number of army officers next to west point and our numbers are nowhere near 800 lol :wiggle:

21. NEp8ntballer

NEp8ntballer New Member

wow, it makes me wonder how people can spend that much on a college education to get a degree like that. I might have to find the most obsucer and useless degree if I don't like engineering, maybe liesure studies.

22. murdok311

murdok311 New Member

with that outlook your not going to make it in engineering, dont even attempt it

after year one you'll already have to do chem, physics, calc 1 and 2, and a few engineering courses, I love engineering but even for me I get complacent and ended up failing or doing bad. unless you are really motivated dont go into any physical science.

if you just need a degree, go business, marketing or some shit like that, at least you have options once your done with school, liesure studies will get you nowhere.

23. eter

eter New Member

signals officer ftw

24. kazimer

kazimer New Member

go straight into a functional area or a professional program. its the best bang for your time....unless of course you want to be a general officer in the future.

i would do a professional area only because i enjoy actually doing the work along with managing people...not just management like you would as a normal line officer....unless you are signal :o

25. NEp8ntballer

NEp8ntballer New Member

close, my choice in engineering won't require a chem class.

I'll try to refrain from making jokes also.