best jacket all-around for 200?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Boudreaux, Jul 13, 2003.

1. Boudreaux

Boudreaux Active Member

i would really like to get a new jacket...

i looked around on kneedraggers.com...prices not to bad..
    i looked at the icon timax jacket with the "titanium" sheilds :rolleyes: for 199, but is tehre something for better ventilation or lighterweight that will offer better protection?? your opinions are greatly appreciated.....my yellow bmw one that got handed down to me has seen better days :wiggle:

2. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

hmm... is leather a requirement? If not have you considered a Ballistic mesh style jacket? I have a Fieldsheer and I love it. :) Should cost you far enough less than $200 that you could afford to get some matching mesh pants to go with the jacket.

3. Boudreaux

Boudreaux Active Member

yeah, i see alot of ballistic joe rocket gear at the local shops...thats prolly what i'll end up gettin...but i want the best protection/venting/light weight/looks (in that order) money can buy for ~200 give or take...

and where should i look online for the best prices?

4. Mike99TA

Mike99TA I don't have anything clever to put here right now

I wrecked once using a joe rocket phoenix about 3 months ago and was going 65 mph and it got torn up but protected me VERY well. I only got a tiny of rash on my left elbow. However this time around I bought a fieldsheer titanium air - $89 from newenough.com (brand new) and the padding/jacket is MUCh better than the phoenix. It might be a bit warmer of a jacket though.

5. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

Is $200 all you have or is that only for a jacket? If $200 is all you have you'd be best served getting the mesh gear with pants as opposed to just a leather jacket and no pants. The legs are the most injured area in motorcycle wrecks. Good, sturdy boots wouldn't hurt either.

Go to www.newenough.com and you can get a Fieldsheer Titanium jacket and pants for about $200 shipped. Unless you're going 170 mph it'll protect you just fine and you'll stay reasonably cool in it. The trade off is that if you do wreck in it you may need to replace it, while good leather you can keep wearing.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2003
  6. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

The Fieldsheer also comes with hard armor pieces as opposed to the Joe Rocket's soft armor.

7. Boudreaux

Boudreaux Active Member

thanks for your help guys...no, 200 is not all i have, but that was what i was limiting myself to for a jacket...but if can get a jacket & pants for that...i would be could to go!!!

8. Mike99TA

Might wanna check out www.dragginjeans.com also for the pants. $80 for basically a REALLY comfortable pair of jeans that has kevlar fabric built into the knees and ass. Very sturdy and will protect the key parts that usually hit the ground for street riding. You can get those plus a fieldsheer titanium air for less than $200 shipped.

9. MWHC22

MWHC22 Bier/Deutsch/Homebrew/ Packers/Blackhawks/Outdoor

eeewww.....mesh jackets.....I had a friend that had the Joe Rocket Phenoix...he wrecked and it was basically torn apart and strip off him....it also gave him no protection against heat....he had a car pull in front of him and slid under the car...the jacket started to melt from the engine heat under the car.

If you are concerned about air flow to keep cool...save up and get a perforated leather jacket...

leather can take a crash and still be there for ya for your next ride....otherwise you will need a new jacket and prolly have some medical bills from some rash....

:dunno: just my opinion....I won't ride without leather....sweating is easier to deal with than burns and road rash from a weak jacket.

10. Mike99TA

Dude I have a perforated leather jacket and its NOT ok in florida in the summer. The difference between perforated leather and a mesh jacket isn't even comparable. I would be more likely to pass out and die wearing leather in the now-98-degree weather with 90% humidity than I would be to slide under a car and be melted.

You live in Utah and your opinion is obviously biased, if I lived in Utah I'd probably wear leather all the time too, but for those of us that live somewhere where you can be doing 95mph on the freeway and it actually heats you up even MORE than when you're standing still, mesh will have to do.

Besides, as far as your comment about being there for the next ride...how many times do you plan on wrecking anyway? I'd rather pay $90 for a mesh jacket, have to buy another $90 mesh jacket once, then pay $350 for a leather jacket and never have to buy another one. (which isn't true, plenty of wrecks tear leather up).

I'm also speaking from personal experience because I did wreck with a mesh jacket on (at 65mph no less) and it protected me perfectly. I think if you slide under a car when you wreck you have worse things to worry about then your jacket melting.

11. MWHC22

MWHC22 Bier/Deutsch/Homebrew/ Packers/Blackhawks/Outdoor

ok..so I guess my opinoins are biased since I live in Utah. I guess the 115 degree dry heat isn't hot enopugh with blazing sun at 5,000 feet, some thin air that lets the sun through and no cloudsto block the sun.

Or the 85 to 95 degree heat with 100% humidity we get in northern wisconsin makes me biased too I guess.

At either place I will wear leathers. I don't have perforateds because It gets cold sometimes and I don't have enough for both. So I sweat my ass off in full leathers just so I can have some protection.

Your coment about perforated leathers in florida being not ok....well if its hot out...you will sweat....in full leathers you will sweat...in perforated you will sweat less...and in mesh you will sweat even less.

But also in each step you take it becomes less protection as well.

I can do 95 on a freeway just fine in Utah...and I can assure you I don't heat up the faster I go...in fact I cool down..becasue of airflow.

How many times do I plan on wrecking?....ZERO...but hey if my jacket last threw a wreck to be used again...it must have done a better job than a jacket that is usless after a wreck. So this means I won't need anything to be replaced on me either. Aftermarket/performance parts on a human aren't as good as stock parts.

yeah leather can get tore up in a wreck too...but not as bad as mesh thats the point I am getting at.

When you watch AMA races on tv what do they wear?...leather....or perforated leather.

They don't wear mesh becasue of safety concerns.
    I am sure there are a few pro riders that use mesh..but not too many.

How perfectly did your jacket protect you? If it worked perfectly..you should have come out with no scratches/cuts/scrapes at all. It should have been as if you didn't hit the pavement at all. With a well fitted leather jacket...that is the outcome unless high speeds or sharp objects are involved. Yet even then I would rather wear a leather jacket than mesh...it is harder to peirce leather than nylon/whatever material.