Best Home Theater Audio

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by SiempreFresco, Sep 20, 2003.

1. SiempreFresco

SiempreFresco New Member

Was thinking of getting Bose but have been reading that it shit. Any suggestions on good home audio systems? I have quite enough money saved up so as lon as the price stays around 2,000 its good.

2. 04

04 Guest

Bose isnt typically highly regarded, as they charge a lot more for their products than they should. So unless you REALLY need tiny little speakers, I would not look at them.

You need a reciever, 5 speakers and a subwoofer, right?

I would start by spending around 300 dollars on a reciever that does dolby digital and dts. Then for the subwoofer, I would get an Adire Rava, which is 400 dollars. That leaves 1300 dollars for speakers. This part will be the most subjective, so I would go to a local audio store and listen to what they have and spend around 1200 on all 5. As for cables and such, I would buy a 100 foot spool of 14awg wire, and that shouldnt cost more than 30 dollars or so. Then buy an optical or coaxial digital cable to connect your dvd player to the reciever, and that should cost around 10-15 dollars or so.

Thats what I would do anyways.

3. FLY-FAST

FLY-FAST OT Supporter

I personally LOVE the Bose 35 series - it's what I'm buying and have researched extensively...

4. CyberLeader

CyberLeader Superior Cybernetic Race

Bose is overpriced garbage. you can do a LOT better for less money.

5. Konowl

Konowl New Member

Don't know where you live Unknown, but Paradigm speakers are highly regarded as great value for the money, ESPECIALLY in Canada, where they are made. I've got Paradigm's all the way around, including subwoofer, and they rock.

6. 04

04 Guest

Have you compared them to anything else?

7. snailtrail83

snailtrail83 Member

If you can spend maybe a little more than $2000 you can really geat a great package.

I recently bought a great set a B&W speakers, after being pretty much in the same situation as you. These sound great.

For the fronts, I got the dm603 series 3. If you look around you can get them for around $800. For the rears, go for the dm602 series 3 and the LCR600 for the centres. These two speakers should cost about $800 together. Finally you can get a yamaha ystsw800 sub for about $400 on some internet sites. That's about $2000 but you also need a receiver. Try get the marantz sr 6300, or even the sr7300. Yamaha also make good receivers. Try the rxv740 or rsv1300. Altogether, it should cost you about $2500US. This is a very rough price, as i live in australia, and u probably live in the US.
    The extra dosh is going to make a lot of difference. I too started off with quite a modest budget, but once you listen to these speakers, you do want to spend extra.

Oh yeah, i almost forgot to mention that i too was considering getting bose. Some models are ok, others are just grossly overpriced. In, general, you can do far better with $2000 than to spend it on bose. If you want great sound go for other brands. If you want to impress your friends, go for bose. Just my .02cents.

8. Hooligandrew

Hooligandrew Guest

I've got some Bose double-cubes (the smaller version, I forget the model name... not Lifestyle) hooked up to a harman/kardon AVR 320 with an Aiwa subwoofer. Let me just say that the receiver MAKES this system! I had a Denon tuner before... it was about 10 years old (before Dolby digital... didn't even have a DVD mode!). I thought it sounded good... this is no comparison.

However, my Bose speakers are the first thing I'd change out if I wanted to put money into it. They look great, sure, and girls ooh and aaah over them (funny how they like some things small). But they're definitely limited in their sound quality. They don't do low sounds well and they don't project across the room very well.