best home audio on a budget??

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by thisgsx, Mar 22, 2005.

1. thisgsx

thisgsx New Member

Im getting a new apt soon and looking to change my home theater setup. I've been out of home audio for like 5-6 years now. My budget is $2000 for everything. It doesnt have to include a subwoofer because Im looking to get a Velodyne. Oh, and links would be helpful. Anyways, help me out and Im mainly looking for floor standing speakers. Thanks!!

Last edited: Mar 22, 2005
  2. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

JBL speakers and a nice Onkyo reciever would be my choice at 2 grand. Maybe Polk Audio or Klipsch speakers would be nice. just go to nice audio store and see what they have.

3. Ronin

Ronin Guest

I recommend a Denon/Marantz reciever.

Marantz SR-6400 6.1
    http://www.audioreview.com/amplification/receivers/Marantz/PRD_321419_1593crx.aspx

Infinity System Alpha 40 Floor Standers: http://www.audioreview.com/speakers/main-speaker/Infinity%20Systems/PRD_171945_1594crx.aspx

Ascend Acoustics CMT-340c Center Channel:
    http://www.audioreview.com/speakers...21_2743crx.aspx

3 Fluance AV-BP2 Surround Speakers:
    http://www.audioreview.com/speakers/surround-speakers/Fluance/PRD_142845_2742crx.aspx

According to the MSRPs given at the top with each speaker the total is: 1893, the remainding money can help pay for shipping.

4. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

I would stick to one brand and series of speakers, or you will have a differnt sound entirly from the differnt brand and series of speakers. JBL is really really nice stuff, the best for the money you want to spend Id say. And now that I think about it, I would probally get a nice pre-amp also, because thoose speakers will hold alot more power than just 100 watts. 6.1 Onkyo reciever and a nice pre-amp to push some JBL's will make your neighboors hate you. I woke up the people across the street with my JBL's once... or maybe more than once. Only bad thing was, I didn't hear the cops at my door. They wern't happy.

5. thisgsx

thisgsx New Member

Thanks. Im looking at the JBL's as Im typing this. The Fluance's have a pretty nice price tag to. Anyone have any experience running Fluance's?? And does the JBL's sound nice and clean or do they just get loud? I prefer something thats very nice and clean, with dvd's, tv, and music. Oh and like the guy above me mentioned, I would like to stay with one brand speakers. Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 23, 2005
  6. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

No offense, but how confident are you on your audio recommendations when you mistake a pre-amp for a power amp? I will agree with you however on sticking with the same brand for all your speakers (with your subwoofer being an exception).

To the poster: How many speakers do you want? 5.1, 6.1, 7.1 system? I think for your budget Polk Audio might be a good brand. Buy a pair of LS9's for the front (they are large bookshelf speakers), and a pair of LS7's for the rear. That probably brings the total to around $1500 if you look in the right places. As for receivers (probably can't go with separates within this budget), I am not very familiar with home theater stuff, mostly 2-channel. But, I know Yamaha is good, as well as brands like Teac and Denon. If you want to up your budget I'd look at Marantz and especially Rotel, as well as NAD.

One more brand for speakers you may not have checked out is NHT (www.nhthifi.com). However, all four speakers will probably add up to around $2000 alone if you include the center channel and use floorstanders. The advantage there though is you may be satisfied without a subwoofer for a while.

Hope that helps.

Oops, forgot cables and such, oh well.

7. threeclaws

threeclaws R.I.P.

What I would get is one of the speaker packages from av123.com + (probably) an HK AVR-135.

8. thisgsx

thisgsx New Member

I was just reading the reviews for these on audioreview.com and they seem pretty good. Except there were no reviews for the pioneer. It looks like a good setup although I would like to hear it first hand before purchasing it.

Streem ht-808
    Fluance av-htb
    Pioneer HTZ-940DV

Oh and im looking at all three setups: 5.1, 6.1, and 7.1

As far as recievers go here are the brands im interested in:
    Onkyo
    Marantz
    Pioneer Elite
    Denon
    Yamaha

But we'll see which one I get after I get the speakers depending on how much I have left to spend.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2005
  9. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

Im still learning :p I know more than your average guy, but thats not really saying much. I do know what I like, and I have had JBL, Polk Audio, Sony, and Klipsch setups. You can't really rate an entire company based off of a few speakers, but hey. I still say JBL makes some of the nicest stuff out there, it sounds awesome, and is louder than you need it to be, and want it to be for the most part.

10. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

That's fine. One other thing I would point out though, is not to judge the quality of a speaker by how loud it can get. We all know that audiobahns can get plenty loud, but don't sound too good.

11. threeclaws

threeclaws R.I.P.

Fluance is great if you are on a budget but if you are looking to spend $1000+ on speakers I would get something else.

12. SilverJettaGLX

SilverJettaGLX OT Supporter

Try Monitor Audio bronze speakers. They are among the best Ive listened to at the price. For a reciever, try the Pioneer 1014 for around 400 bucks

13. thisgsx

thisgsx New Member

Ok guys I've decided on the:
    Streem ht808
    Pioneer 1014
    32" sony wega

thanks for all the help...I will be ordering them this weekend and I will be picking up the wega this weekend if it doesnt rain. :)

14. threeclaws

threeclaws R.I.P.

Why the 32" Sony? Just curious.

15. thisgsx

thisgsx New Member

the apt complex isnt that big...

16. 04

04 Guest

My parents have the 32" WEGA. It's got a very nice picture, but IMO the screen size is rather small. If you sit pretty close to the screen, then that shouldnt be a problem, but if you want to sit quite a bit back... :o

17. thisgsx

thisgsx New Member

hmm...Im going to have to see then...I may have to step up to a 36"

18. itr452

itr452 VTEC motherfucker, GOT ANY?

Magnepan MMG, Classe 151 integrated amplifier = sexor

19. thisgsx

thisgsx New Member

do I really need an amplifier. If I was to go with the pioneer 1014, it puts out 110 watts to all 7 channels. I think that should be enough. right??

20. 04

04 Guest

The Pioneer should provide PLENTY of power. If for some reason it doesnt and it's not loud enough, then I would reccomend getting an amplifier that puts out at least quadruple the power (400 watts per channel) and/or new speakers that are more efficient.

21. thisgsx

thisgsx New Member

thanks!

22. Ronin

Ronin Guest

Get a mitsubishi TV, sony = teh crap.

I've never seen keeping the same brand of speakers all the same make a real difference, as long as you cant combine the right stuff together it shouldnt matter.

Dont worry about how loud your speakers are, worry about how they handle their range and their clarity. Make sure they can play the kinds of sounds you generally listen to.

For your set up I wouldnt suggest an amp, just stick with a decent reciever. Onkyo is good(havent listened to Yamaha), my brother has an onkyo reciever powering a cambridge audio reference system. The 2 big floorstanders each have 2 subs in them and the onkyo does a good job.

JBL speakers are good, especially on a budget.

As far as other speakers go:

Klipsch: good but usually overpriced, you might find good deals via ebay since they are fairly popular, same goes for JBL on ebay.

Sony: I have yet to find a good proudct made by Sony

Also when getting a speaker take into account box design, my Paradigms are small bookshelfs but their box construction is teh shiznit.

If you can find some really good deals online I suggest taking them, even with shipping costs you'll most likely save money, and its not exactly hard to set up a system either.

Another thing to take into account is how power hungry your speakers are, some speakers will get moving a lot easier with less power than others.

23. SilverJettaGLX

SilverJettaGLX OT Supporter

24. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

Yeah, I know that volume isn't everything, but you can't say that it isn't something. And if your saying JBL's sound bad... I don't think so. Not for the price at least. I really didn't mean to come off as some kid saying 'Buy JBL, because they are the loudest!' I was just saying that they sound awesome, they arn't to expensive, and they are loud as hell when you want them to be. And still sound great. Ill throw some pics up sometime I guess. Dunno what that would do, but what the hell. Why not?

And to all you people saying Sony is crap... You are silly. For 500 bucks you can get an entire system, that is good enough for 90% of everybody, and really isnt that bad at all. You could spend more than 500 bucks per speaker on Polk Audio or other better brands. Gotta give them some credit for making something that people can afford.