Best HDD Company

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by TALLandNcharge, Mar 19, 2008.

1. TALLandNcharge

TALLandNcharge New Member

I'm in the market for a new HDD. I need a 2.5" SATA. I have been researching and I'm just wanting to get a reliable and quite HDD. Does any one brand stick out to you as the best?

2. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

seagate

/thread

4. Dnepr

Dnepr Guest

Seagate for storage, WD Raptor for OS drive

5. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Seagate

6. Swift

Swift http://www.bounceweb.com

7. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Make sure to get one with NCQ, though. It will speed up load times when a bunch of files need to get read all at once.

8. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

9. JaJae

JaJae New Member

Seagate

10. lightsareout

lightsareout New Member

all i run is seagate

11. SumAzunGuy

SumAzunGuy New Member

12. TALLandNcharge

TALLandNcharge New Member

I've heard that Hitachi is pretty good as well. What about them?

13. Doc Brown

Well Hitachi bought out IBM, so they are probably still pretty solid.

14. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

You couldn't pay me to use a hitachi/ibm desktop drive, but their laptop drives are pretty damn good, although I'd still go seagate or western digital over hitachi/ibm.

Just make sure you get a 7200rpm drive for your laptop. If you're getting a new drive, the cost difference should be minimal, but the performance difference will be quite noticible.

15. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Yeah, the choices for laptop drives are a lot slimmer. While Seagate is good in both arenas, the fact that they sacrifice some speed for extra reliability is more of an inconvenience than a benefit in a laptop drive, since they're already slower than desktop drives.

If I had to buy a laptop or a SCSI drive, I'd go with Fujitsu. They're fast, as reliable as any other brand, and (supposedly) they invented a new kind of spindle motor bearing that makes them almost completely silent. My experience is that they are in fact very very quiet.

16. Doc Brown

When I was running scsi drives, I used Seagates and Fujitsu. At the time, the Fujitsu's benchmarked faster than the Seagates.

As far as noise goes, I've said it before, but I think the way the drive mounts is the biggest issue. My case uses silicone grommets for the drives, and I don't have any noise problems with 3 Raptors, in there.
    But on occasion when I've been doing some setup work, and I've had a drive just laying on it's side in the case, it was plenty loud.

17. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

my hitachi 250gb drive I bought 2 years ago makes some noise when accessing it. I'm kinda thinking of buying a new one before it goes completely.

18. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

wow I'm surprised there weren't more people saying WesternDigital.

Look to see what brand you have now, and if it's lived up to what you need then get the same brand.

Other wise see what is out there and meets the specs you need then look at some reviews, the more professional review the better. Then go from there.

19. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

It really is personal preference :dunno:.

I use Seagate, Hitachi, WD, and Maxtor without much problems. I've had a Maxtor die on me after a few years but it gave me plenty of warning and was still under warranty, so it wasn't a problem for me at all.

I do know that the loudest of the drives I have are my Seagates. Have a 7200.10, 7200.8, and a 7200.7. All of which are much louder than the Hitachi and Maxtor 3.5" drives I use.

20. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

For the next drive I buy, I will probably get a WD over seagate, solely for the warranty. Living in Canada, it's pretty damn expensive to ship a drive back to Seagate in the US, not to mention takes a lot longer, while WD has a warranty depot in Canada.

21. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

I have a Maxtor 80GB 3.5" in my old Sony tower that has been moderately used since mid-2002. It started telling me it was dying in mid/early-2005. Somehow, it is still running. That PC was my primarly computer until 12/07 and that drive was the OS drive. That computer, with the Maxtor as the OS drive still, is now my HTPC comptuer.

(How it tells me it wants to die: SeaTools finds several drive errors. For 1 week our every 5 or so, it takes me anywhere from 2-30 attempts to get the damn thing to work. I get "insert boot disk" error when starting up. After the 2-30 restarts it will work fine till next boot. I don't know how it still runs.)

I have an 80GB Western Digital (no clue on the model, its ATA-133 though) in that Sony PC that was put into it in 2003 that still runs with no problems. Other than that all of my other drives are Seagates (7200.10 and Barracuda ES series SATA-II's) and have never had a problem.

My suggestion for IDE/SATA drives would be Seagate, Western Digital, and if I knew more about the new Samsung SATA's, maybe them.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2008
  22. Marcos

Marcos OT Supporter

I like samsung :dunno:, theres a lot of love for seagate here, and they would probably be my 2nd choice, but i like how samsung are almost always silent

23. lowfat

Seagate/Maxtor have a depot in Canada dood :hsugh:. It cost me like $9 shipped Expresspost to get my drive fixed.

And even shipping to the USA isn't expensive, I shipped a motherboard for $12 to Gigabyte somewhere in the USA.

24. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

When I called Seagate support to tell them my drive died, they told me they don't have a warranty depot in Canada and I had to send it to Texas.

I didn't worry too much about shipping because it was a work thing and they paid for shipping, but even still

Did you send yours to Seagate, or to the place you bought it from?

25. lowfat

To a Seagate partner in Ontario. Not where I purchased it. I filled out the RMA form online and it gave me an address in Ontario to send it too.