GUN best handgun

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by bigfoot18, Apr 15, 2004.

1. bigfoot18

bigfoot18 Guest

I am just about 21 and i am goin to buy a handgun before anything else. I really like what i hear about glocks. I was wondering what OT thought about the different glock models. I will be applying for a permit to CCW so size is a small issue that should be in consideration. thanks for all the info. other makes are also possible.
    one more thing is a glock 17 which the cal. is 9x19 the same as a 9 mm bullet???

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2004
  2. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

Do you really want a gun that's going to blow your hand of?

9x19 is 9mm luger...there are other 9mm rounds...the 9mm is the measure of the diameter of the bore or bullet

3. Furner

Furner New Member

get an XD, much better than any glock.

4. Cool~Breeze

Cool~Breeze New Member

xd's are awesome:bowdown:

5. ryanbum

ryanbum Its the one that says Bad Mother Fucker on it

Go Glock. Great gun and the are Hi-capacity preban mags available. The XD was introduced as the HS2000 before Springfield bought them out and has only been in the market for 4 or 5 years therefore there are no Hi-capacity pre-ban magazines available.

6. Platinum_Thunder

XDs are crap too

7. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

:squint: Prove it.

I would reccommend a Glock 26 in 9mm. Very accurate and easy to conceal. Check out www.glocktalk.com if you haven't already done so.

8. david_4x4

david_4x4 New Member

CZ-75

One of the best pistols I have ever shot and held.

9. Anders 7

Anders 7 I aim to misbehave OT Supporter

Go with the glock. You won't be disappointed.. unless you are looking for looks instead of quality. Glock = Ugly Gun but best gun.

10. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

I'm a fan of Glocks and have carried one since 1992.

My advice is to find a range that rents pistols or find a friend who has several pistols and can take you out to let you try them. Everyone is built differently so there really is no "best handgun" for everyone. Try some out and find what works for you.

With all that said, I'd recommend a Glock 19.

To answer your last question, there are several different length cartridges all in 9mm caliber. 9x19 is what most people commonly refer to as 9mm. Keep in mind that there are also 9x18, 9x21, and 9x23.

-smn

11. Volkl

Volkl New Member

I'll go out on a limb and suggest the Daewoo DH40. More affordable than a Glock or XD, and a great shot. Then again, I am biased, as it is my first and only handgun, and I live in a state that doesn't allow carrying, so that isn't a concern of mine

12. ryanbum

The Glock 19 is great! I have more than a few handguns as you can see in my pic on "Post you Arsenal". I choose to carry my Glock more than anything. There was a previous post that stated:

True but these are very rare occourances that happen when you shoot non-factory ammo that has been reloaded with very high pressure loads. I have shot mucho +P and +P+ ammo from my G19 with no difficulties or malfunctions. I'm sure the "Kaboom" effect can be expected from any gun that shoots the non-spec loads.

One Tip: Don't get a compensated Glock if you plan to carry.

13. GunShow

GunShow You had best unfuck yourself

Another vote for the Glock 19.

14. Platinum_Thunder

unless it's a G27 :fawk:

15. Furner

Furner New Member

actually, there are legal, hi-cap, postban mags available. you see, the 9mm and the 40sw rounds are so similar, that with slight modification, a 40sw mag will hold 15 9mm rounds, and still function as a 10rd 40sw magazine.

16. MR. Marti

MR. Marti New Member

wow, i was just wonderin the same question. I am also considering buying a handgun just to go to the NRA range here in NO. Va. i enjoy shooting. Can you guys post some pics of these handguns you are talkin about along with price and any details you may know about it.

17. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

For your purposes of possible concealed carry and the fact that you're just starting with a handgun, i'd recommend you check out the Glock 19 or the Springfield XD9 pistols.

Both are 9mm for easy practice and cheap ammo, both are lightweight, comfortable, large enough to learn on easily but small enough to conceal.

Springfield XD9 should go for about $400-450 brand new
    [​IMG]

Glock 19 is $475-525 new
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2004
  18. RCSTZ71

RCSTZ71 Guest

For carry only Glock 27
    For carry and plinking Glock 23

If you stuck on 9mm
    For carry only Glock 26
    For carry and plinking Glock 19

No matter what you get, get a Glock :bigthumb:

19. Gouda

Gouda New Member

does anyone know the difference between the Glock 21 and the Glock 21C. Besides the length between sights and the weight.

20. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

the C designates that it's compensated, meaning that it has holes in the barrel and slide to let gasses out the top in a v-shaped pattern. this has two effects: the first is to reduce percieved recoil and muzzle climb, enabling quicker followup shots. the second is to blind you, thereby counteracting the effect of the first effect.

also, the smaller framed glocks (the 9mm and .40 glocks, in all sizes) go for $489 new, all over. you can find them for as low as $459 new, and $439 refurbished.

21. Platinum_Thunder

This > the crap that has been posted
    [​IMG]

22. MR. Marti

MR. Marti New Member

wow, what is that?
    thanks for the info guys. i am lookin into the glock 19 looks good on their site. Any good places to read more about hand guns? how can i go about finding or does anyone else know the virginia gun laws?

also since the gun will mainly be to shoot at the NRA range i would like to get something that looks real nice. sorry if i sound like a noob but i like this one so far. http://www.thegunman.com/catalog/coltgoldcupnatlmatch.htm any thoughts? are colts any good. a friend recommended a colt 1991.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2004
  23. ryanbum

That gun is a Walter S&W P99. It features interchangable backstraps to accommodate different shooters hands. I personally don't care too much for it. It didn't feel good to me.

On the second question for a 1911 style gun (colt 1991) don't buy a Colt. They were the one's that pioneered the handgun and 1911 original developer but they have fallen kinda short when compared to the other manufacturers of 1911 pistols. A couple of notable ones are made by Kimber, Wilson Combat, Sig Sauer (GSR), Springfield (stick with the "Loaded" models), Les Baer and the list goes on. Kimber and Springfield are your best bet for price and quality. I would reccommend the Sig "GSR" model but due to it's limited availability right now, since it was just recently introduced, I would have to not recommend it at this time.

24. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

a good 1911 will run you a lot more than a glock.

25. RCSTZ71

RCSTZ71 Guest

:nono:

You wouldn't consider Springfield a good 1911... the Mil Spec are going for about $500-$550....

Granted it's not a Kimber or Wilson Combat.. but it's still pretty good for the $$$$, IMO but not better than a Glock..