Best Garage Ever: Jon Shirley - Ferrari and others

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by davequick, Mar 30, 2005.

1. davequick

davequick New Member

I am in the midst of scanning in a lot of my old negatives. This is a set from February, 2003. The full album is at http://www.pbase.com/threefourfive/2003shirley if you're interested in the other pictures I didn't post in this thread.

Jon Shirley is the ex-president of Microsoft and this is his private garage. Not only did he let the local Ferrari Club of America come in and gawk he personally led a walking tour of the garage. He knew every nut and bolt of every restoration. It is so awsome to see this type of enthusiasm and involvement from someone that is obviously in a position to have someone else sweat all the details without involving him. :)

He is also active in vintage racing and is an active philanthopist that is involved with a number of fund raisers for Children's Hospital and other local charities.

If he ever stumbles on this page or any others about his garage tour... THANK YOU and please let us back another time! :)

This is an overview of the floor from upstairs - I didn't take multiple shots at varying angles to create a panorama, sorry...

[​IMG]
    View of the left side of garage:
    [​IMG]

View of the right side of garage:
    [​IMG]

Do you like models? He does too... Upstairs 1:
    [​IMG]

Upstairs 2:
    [​IMG]

He drew quite a crowd for this tour:
    [​IMG]

enough of that... on to the details.

Like F1? Like Schumaker? Why not get one of his cars?
    [​IMG]

Literally... like I said... Schumaker's car:
    [​IMG]

1953 375 MM PF Berlinetta w/Jon:
    [​IMG]

1954 500 Mondial PF Berlinetta:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

1957 250 Testa Rossa Prototipo:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1955 375 MM Scaglietti Coupe Speciale:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1971 365 GTB/4 “NART Spyder”:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

REAL DEAL Daytona Spyder:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1967 275 GTB/4 NART Spyder
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

FIAT Team Transporter for Ferrari used to transport race cars between european races:
    [​IMG]

1949 166 MM Touring Barchetta:
    [​IMG]

1956 290MM:
    [​IMG]

Porsche 550 Sypder:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jaguar XKE:
    [​IMG]

512bbi:
    [​IMG]

1969 F-312 Formula 1 Race Car:
    [​IMG]

California Spyder:
    [​IMG]

Thunderbird:
    [​IMG]

Shelby Cobra:
    [​IMG]

300SL Gullwing:
    [​IMG]

300SL Convertible:
    [​IMG]

Alfa P3!!!!! (far left):
    [​IMG]

Needless to say... it's fun when he opens this garage up to us - lots to look at!!!

Hope you enjoyed.

The full album is at http://www.pbase.com/threefourfive/2003shirley.

2. 127.0.0.1

127.0.0.1 New Member

i wonder if he knows you are allowed to buy new cars.

3. davequick

davequick New Member

Trust me, he has new cars too... just not at this garage... he has another garage or two around.

He just took delivery last year of the first customer delivered new Ford GT, I've seen him in a yellow 355, I think I've seen him in a silver/grey 575, and he has a variety of more pedestrian vehicles. He also has a Ford F1 car (Jackie Stewart's), some lotus racers, etc. But some were traveling, at the shop, or in another facility of his.

4. M4A1

M4A1 :)

wow.

5. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

Are any of those driven.. some of those would be a shame to just sit there

6. bottomline

bottomline Guest

7. matrix243

matrix243 Earn this. Earn it.

8. matrix243

matrix243 Earn this. Earn it.

garage,no.
    museum,yes.

9. Madness

Madness Do not let Dr. Mario touch your genitals. He is no

Well I'm glad to see that unlike most high-end collections that I've seen he didn't go for just the most expensive of everything but rather got a fair and balanced selection of cars with cultural significance. I just wish the transporter weren't restored to perfection or better than new, I believe showing use damage that it would've recieved going from tack to track would've been an excellent touch, much like the post race rock chips and dings left in the 500.

10. LBKornhusker

LBKornhusker Muscular cyborg German dude dances with sexy Frenc

With the cliche "money can't buy happiness" in mind, if this man isn't happy...................there is something seriously wrong with him.

Beautiful cars.

11. davequick

davequick New Member

The transporter was.... "rough". It came back from a field in france where it had been left to rot and was shipped to the us in a bunch of parts bins. It was restored because it wouldn't have been "use damage". The blue 1954 500 Mondial PF Berlinetta is completely unrestored - original paint, leather, etc.

I think if anyone is willing to leave a car just be when possible he'd do it. But if he can't drive it safely due to it's condition it will be touched.

To respond to some others on this thread. Every one of these vehicles is race ready - like I said, he's a big vintage racer... so they get driven on the track, he's driven in the mille miglia (I think he last used the 1949 166 MM Touring Barchetta), he does a number of road rallies in the US and abroad. And, (lucky for us here in the northwest) he supports all the local car shows (Seattle Concours onthe pier, Kirkland Concours, etc.)! For one Seattle Concours he actually drove one of these down in a slight mist.

Someone else in the local FCA related to me that they asked him how he could feel o.k. driving some of them on the public roads withall the idiot son them and he said something that was the moral equivalent of "After they've won the major shows [i.e. Pebble, Amelia, other internationals], it's not like you can take them back there again - you've just got to enjoy driving them and hope for the best."

And in one road rally his 250 GTO was injured:
    "Unfortunately the group had lost one of its number by this time, as an errant French[​IMG]
    driver hadn’t given priority to the right, leaving Jon and Mary Shirley’s car, chassis #[​IMG]
    3729GT, with a sadly deranged nose and possible suspension damage on[​IMG]
    Tuesday morning. Although it was taped up and driven to the lunch halt at the[​IMG]
    Chateau de Bazoches, it was decided to be prudent and not risk a breakage, thus it[​IMG]
    was trailered back to the Chateau hors de combat.
    " quote from: http://www.barchetta.cc/All.Ferraris/events-stories/events/2002/250-gto-40th-anniversary-meet/250-gto-40th-anniversary-meet-story/ It's been fixed and is doing just fine now. :wtc:

So - while each isn't driven daily they are all exercised in full fury at the appropriate events. :)