Best Gaming Monitor

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by JaJae, Sep 1, 2007.

1. JaJae

JaJae New Member

I'm looking to buy a new monitor. I currently have a 19" monitor, but I want a widescreen. I use a 22" widescreen at work and I love the 1680*1050 resolution.

I occasionally watch movies, but more than anything else I design websites and run a lot of applications at the same time. I also play a lot of fps games.

I'm looking to spend under $300 if possible, but I don't mind spending up to $400 if necessary. I just want the best quality picture I can get. I was looking at the Samsung 226CW and the HP w2207 due to reviews on 22" monitors, but I'm not too sure I want a 22" due to the TN panels they use.

Anyone know of any good 20-22" LCD monitors? I'm looking for the best picture quality possible, not necessarily size. I'd prefer a monitor with a resolution upwards of 1680*1050 standard. I'm worried that might look kinda small on a 20" display though...

2. skinjob

skinjob Active Member

The only non-TN monitor <$400 is the 20" Dell 2007wfp. It has a true 8-bit S-IPS or S-PVA panel. The S-PVA has some viewing angle quirks, so the S-IPS is prefered, but the problem is you can't choose which one you get when you order.

The NEC 20WMGX2 has an AS-IPS panel, good color, fast response time, but it is pricey for 20". However, it is $400 after rebate.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824002319

3. boosted420

boosted420 New Member

Love my 2005FPW.

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

the best gaming monitor is still gonna be a CRT.

That being said, I'd say pick up a samsung unit and call it a night.

Definitely recommend against the dell. People sackride the shit out of them, but in the end, I have never seen one that looked anything above "meh". They have been caught red-handed baiting the reviews, and swaping panels for production... And even the people that do qualify their recommendations take care to note that dell makes a good one and a shitty one -- and allows no method to specify which you get when you order. Buyer beware.