SRS Best Friends Dad +cancer/leukemia...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by 98fiveseven, Feb 6, 2007.

1. 98fiveseven

98fiveseven New Member

Well 10 minutes ago I just got word that my best friends Dad, who is like a second Dad to me has been givin an estimated 5-6 months left to live.

He has been fighting it for the last 4-6 months. It has been rough on my buddy and his mom the worst, but it is still really fucking hard for me. I am good bout "hiding" my feelings inside and letting them all just linger. Just kinda my way of dealing with shit. Not the healthiest of ways but hey it works...
    Which is kinda why I am putting it here. So I can kinda talk about it. And just get it off of my chest. I am not sure what to do and what I can do. I am lost with no sense of direction as I have never been in this position.:wtc: I mean there is nothing I can really do to help as he is terminal but wtf guys? I hate the utter feeling of helplessness (sp) Any help will be great.

2. 98fiveseven

98fiveseven New Member

Is there any good ways of dealing with the stress that a loved one has Xmonths to live and knowing they could actually go anytime before or after?

3. Discovery44

Discovery44 Thread Killer

I would really advise you to be strong, spend some good time with him, talk to him and learn from him. I think once you accept the fact that we all have to leave on day, it'll be easier for you. Acceptance is key. Just be a good friend and good support for everyone.

Besides that, other answers will reveal themselves.

Sorry to hear the bad news man :hug:

4. Discovery44

Discovery44 Thread Killer

I actually get really stressed out thinking about this, just on a basis that anything could happen anytime. Nothing you can do per se, its all about perspective. Good ways of dealing with it, would just be to communicate in a positive manner, and spend some time with him and his family.

5. code137

code137 IDA

I'd agree with what was already said. Just spend some time with him and the family. I can't say how to deal with the stress other than talk with the family members and your own friends. My own dad just recently was diagnosed with stage IV melanoma and is now going through surgery, chemo, and radiation and has about the same 4-6 months. The numbers are drawn from medians, but you can still hope for more. However, at the same time, don't count on 6 and lose a chance.

6. Gregsaidthat

Gregsaidthat "Individuality is the new conformity"

Real Talk.