SRS Best friend with bulimia (plus a grab bag of other problems)

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by vibit, Feb 28, 2006.

1. vibit

vibit New Member

Yah, what do you do when your best friend has an eating disorder? I think it's rubbed off on me. I'm lost. I tried to get her to seek help. But she has serious issues about that type of confrontation. It's really taxing and it's a thorn that pokes at the back of my head everytime we go out to eat. I KNOW she's going to puke it out. Every Friday, we always hang out as a group (my 2 other friends know about it too from the beginning, but she tells me occassionally when she gets her episodes) eats mounds of food, and spends shitloads on meals, going all out with the appies, drinks, main course, and even dessert. This girl is like 5'1" and weighs probably around 90-ish lbs? I also have my own issues as well. I'm pretty much failing out of school, because I don't have motivation, and I have issues at home, issues with self-esteem (yes I admit I sometimes puke out my food too when I am stressed out, and I had a history of cutting, etc), etc. etc.
    Sometimes hanging out with them makes me feel insecure. They kinda remind me of "mean girls"? Maybe they're not the greatest friends? Maybe I'm just being overly sensitive?

...phew.

2. svetlanalemon

svetlanalemon A little blood and vomit on the car seat...

i went through something similar to her situation before, and she's going to be really stubborn about her condition, because eating disorders seem to be a very private thing.....
    anyway, you must tell her the detrimental effects/the toll doing this will do to her body... esophageal tearing....possible ulcers in the lining of the stomach, yellowing/rotting teeth, wasting away of tooth enamel, sensitive teeth, heart attack, etc....... so many things, the list goes on.

print out several articles ( good ones ) talking about the serious effects bulimia can have on one's health
    honestly, scaring her out of it might actually make her want to avoid it.

3. teo

teo . => ? => !

Know your limits. She needs professional help and as much as you would like to be that, you're not. Support her and do everything in your power to get her to a doctor, but don't let her drain your life out of you. Puking from stress is less alarming but still noteworthy. Why are you allowing yourself to get this stressed? It's detrimental and I think you already know that.