SRS Best friend has emphysema

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Wolf, Apr 24, 2005.

1. Wolf

Wolf No one plans to take the path that brings you lowe

Best friend since 2nd grade told me this week that a couple months ago he was diagnosed with emphysema. :(
    He's 24, been smoking heavily since he was 14. That, along with his asthma is what did it.
    He says when he turns 25 in September that he's gonna quit, but I don't think he knows how hard it's gonna be. Doctors said that if he continues smoking as he has been, he'll be dead in 2 years. :wtc:

2. johan

johan Active Member

Diagnosed with emphysema but is planning to quit in... 4 to 5 months from now? What's wrong with today? I'm sure his doctors have told him to quit. What's the holdup? Nicotine patches might ease the withdrawl. Although supposedly the most long lasting method is simply cold-turkey.

3. civicmon

civicmon got all my game from the streets of california.

my grandma had emphysema and is now dead..... so I mean, if that means anything....

4. luckyirishman51

luckyirishman51 New Member

you can get it at age 25?????? how many packs a day was he smoking?

5. Wolf

Wolf No one plans to take the path that brings you lowe

Smoked between 1-2 a day since 14.
    Lucky Strike unfiltereds in high school and Marlboro 100s since.

6. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

They should ban smoking all together.

7. johan

johan Active Member

No. Even though I don't smoke (except for the occasional cigar) I think the right to self-determination is an important principle that must be protected.

Smoking costs lives, there is no doubt of that. But it and other similar things, and the concomitant costs to society in direct costs (like healthcare costs) and indirect costs (social costs, smoking as a gateway, etc) are the price of living in a free society.

8. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

You are paying the price , and lose your freedom when you get cancer and are hospital bend bounded due to someone elses smoking behaviour. In that perspective you have lost all your priveleges of living in a free society.

The chances of getting cancer when you are around someone smoking are higher then smoking yourself. You are just a plain murderer when you give someone else cancer due to your smoking habits.

Exactly because i believe that you should live in a free(of smoke) and healthy society , sigarettes should be banned altogether. When i put a cancerous substance on purpose in your food people would scream murder and fire, while a sigarette contains over 10 000 cancerous chemicals which you say is the freedom of society to poison you, sounds a bit hypocritical if you ask me.

9. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

So don't go around smokers, then. Patronize only businesses that have sanitary smoking sections, or none at all. Problem solved, without government intervention. Can't you take care of yourself?

Wolf: From all that you said, I think its very clear: You're friend is going to die. Soon. You need to accept this. Personally, I'd tell him that if he didn't quit smoking immediately then I am not going to stick around to watch him commit suicide. That way you accurately express your views of his behavior (catharsis!), protect yourself from further damage to your psyche by walling him off (self preservation!) and just maybe if you're lucky you can get through to him, past a decade of addiction, just how serious the situation is (altruism!).

Tell him to quit, or he can die alone. Without you as a friend. You won't watch him commit suicide.

What a pathetic shitbag he is... jesus. Addiction is so disgusting.