Best first bike thats respectable for 1st time rider?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by M617, Jul 10, 2009.

1. M617

M617 Guest

ive never been on a Street bike before and am thinking about getting one...whats a good first bike that isnt too pussy but isnt gonna send me into a tree?

2. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

ninja 250

3. M617

M617 Guest

250 is to light my boy just got a Honda CBR 1000

4. 7960

7960 New Member

so you don't really want suggestions for a "Best first bike thats respectable for 1st time rider" then?

:rolleyes:

turbo hayabusa, enjoy your death.

5. BlkDrgnZ28

BlkDrgnZ28 OT Supporter

get a Y2K nice

6. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

:werd:
    pussy
    no ZX-14 no care

7. aus-juiced

aus-juiced New Member

:rofl:

Please remember to name me as the only beneficiary in your will.

8. AVengeance

AVengeance Active Member

With the right amount of stupid, a 50cc scooter from Northerntool.com can send you into a tree. I vote for the scooter.

9. igotyofire

igotyofire New Member

get the bike you want.....if ur idiot well then ur an idiot and will go into a tree anyways....if u dont have shit for brains & are patient then u shouldn't be have a problem on most bikes out there...yes even a hayabusa.

10. DieselVQ

DieselVQ New Member

For your first bike, trust me, you don't need to worry about gaining respect from others. Worry about sharpening your riding skills. I promise its much harder to explore on a liter bike than it would be on that 250.

Personally, my recommendation would be a SV650 or a Ninja 650. You'll have plenty of power for time to come, and you can feel comfortable on the highway with some passing power. You'll need to be a little bit restrained, but they aren't race ready bikes (like a lot of the sport bikes out there).

You wouldn't learn to drive in a race car, why would you wanna do it on a race bike?

11. rgeier11

rgeier11 OT Supporter

my 06 gs500f was a perfect first bike...and its for sale too!

12. Katsumoto

Katsumoto New Member

Agreed, my ninja 650 has plenty of power, but it won't throw you on your head like a supersport will. 250's or 500's aren't bad at all. Screw what people think.

13. AVengeance

AVengeance Active Member

Absolutely true!

14. GammaRadiation

GammaRadiation Active Member

This subforum needs a sticky for Ninja 250 arguments.

15. GuiltySparc

GuiltySparc OT Supporter

Are you talking about the Ninja 650R? I know 'R' is typically used for the supersports, but the 650R is listed under their regular 'sport' section and apart from the 'supersport' section.

16. GammaRadiation

GammaRadiation Active Member

I was thinking the same thing, a 650 in a sport bike is no joke. It's still less than a 10:1 lb:hp bike that will have you going fast enough to kill you before you had a chance to realize you cracked the throttle open a little too far.

If you've never done anysort of riding, I'd personally recommend you dont start on a 650. I dont own a bike, it's just an interest of mine so take what I say with a grain of salt. But I have ridden plenty of off road bikes and 4wheelers and have hopped on a sport bike or two. Anything above a 500 thumper will probably blow your mind when you actually open the throttle. Even driving cars with a 10:1 lb:hp ratio is scary for people who have been driving normal, every day street cars. Imaging taking one out on your inagural drive at 15 as that is pretty much what you'd be doing if you have 0 riding expereince. You may not crash, but the second you think you can handle it when you really cant you're in a ditch/wrapped around a tree.

I've done my research and I know what kind of bikes I'll be looking at when I'm in a financial situation to have one. I've talked to many experience bike riders that I trust (not people who have been on bikes long enough to handle fast bikes, but people who have been handling fast bikes since before I was born). They all pretty much say the same thing, you'll outrun most cars on even relatively "wimpy" bikes. It's better to not have the power and learn how to handle bad situations than to have the power and over do it when one of those situations arises. This very same thing is preached by many riders on this forum also.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2009
  17. GuiltySparc

GuiltySparc OT Supporter

I was thinking i'd start out on the SV650, however the Ninja 650R looks a lot better, so i would take the Ninja over the SV if the Ninja was as noob friendly (his post made it sound like that was the case). :hs:

18. Katsumoto

Katsumoto New Member

I have one, and I would consider it a pretty decent beginner bike. I rode a 500cc buell blast for half a season before getting mine. The ninja has fast acceleration, but it's more low & midrange. It won't get the front end up very easily or anything like that. You ride it more upright like a traditional motorcycle. It's light and easy to manuever also. I'd take an Abate class and learn the very basics on one of their little 250's, and then you'd be fine with something like the 650R if you take your time and be sensible.

19. mtnbikekid08

mtnbikekid08 Aime-moi moins, mais aime-moi longtemps

20. Snafu

Snafu more than meets the eye

If you have no experience what so ever....Ninja 250. If you've ridden something before be it a dirt bike or whatever, a SV is a fine choice or a FZ6.

21. BlkDrgnZ28

BlkDrgnZ28 OT Supporter

quite fuckin responding to this retards threads i kinda wish he did go turbo busa and die in a fire

22. GuiltySparc

GuiltySparc OT Supporter

Cool, thanks for the info. Is the Abate class the same as the MSF course? Whatever bike i end up getting would be something i'd ride to work on (i'm 26 and married) so a more upright position would be good.

23. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

harley sportster

post said street bike not sport bike so i went with a harley as my answer (don't get to do that much in this forum) :)

24. Katsumoto

Katsumoto New Member

Yes same course, definitely worth taking. It would make a great commuter bike. Anything over 100 miles or so starts getting a bit uncomfortable, but short distances aren't bad at all.

25. 7960

7960 New Member

if this isn't your first bike you fucking FAIL at motorcycling

[​IMG]

( :woot: mod trolling!!)