Best fight scene?

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Socrates, Feb 3, 2005.

1. Socrates

Socrates Guest

Probably a common topic, but lets hear it.

2. joed1228

joed1228 New Member

Power Rangers, season 2 episode 8

3. 123321123321

123321123321 New Member

Fist Fights: Snatch, Fight Club

Martial Arts: Fist of Legend

Guns Included: The Matrix

...these are the ones that came to mind...

4. Socrates

Socrates Guest

Jesus vs the Romans in Passion of the Christ

5. CARETAKER

CARETAKER KANEDAAAA!!! OT Supporter

Ong-Bak, where the main hero character fights the guy that tosses chairs and tables at him in the fight club.

6. rosencrantz

rosencrantz Guest

Easy, the best fight scene is the second Robinson LaMotta fight in Raging Bull.

7. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

No, no, no, no, no! You guys have it all wrong.

The best fight scenes ever filmed were:
    Bruce Lee vs. Chuck Norris at the Coliseum in Return of the Dragon (Way of the Dragon)
    Bruce Lee vs. the Japanese school in Chinese Connection (Fist of Fury)
    Bruce Lee vs. Dan Inosanto in Game of Death.

:bowdown:

8. TrueBlueSnake

TrueBlueSnake New Member

any jackie chan movie :cool:

9. rosencrantz

rosencrantz Guest

That wasn't totally Bruce Lee, because the film was finished so many years after his death, they used a double in a lot of sequences

10. Mugwump

Mugwump Guest

Movies with good fight scenes:

The Matrix Trilogy
    Game of Death
    The One
    Equilibrium
    Snatch
    Team America ( :hsugh: )

11. Teh Awesome!

Teh Awesome! Guest

By far it has got to be the fight between Achilles and Prince Hector in Troy. Everything was awesome about the fight, at some points it was almost magical. If you watch very closely, you will notice the special techniques and styles that were used in the fight.

The first and most obvious technique we see in the fight is... intimidation. Namely Achilles sees that Hector is afraid, and knows he has a huge chance of dying (or why would he talk about funeral rights?). Achilles decides to scare him a bit more with talking about mutilating him... that of course would hit Hector like a ton of bricks... as it would all of us I'm sure.

From there Achilles removes his helmet. One reason is that in that time it was an insult to your oponents fighting prowess, the other is that Hector thought Patroclus was Achilles. Achilles says one of my favorite lines then... with I think, the most menace in it. "Now you know who you're fighting." And the real fight begins...

One of Achilles' best techniques he uses immediately... he does a side to side dodge, moving his sheild and spear about, closing distance to Hector. Hector is watching Achilles' spear at this point, so Achilles decides to give him a closer look... with a fast lunge to his face. Hector dodges and knocks Achilles spear away with his shield (which is awesome, because most would have done it with their spear.), that leaves his spear arm open to counter attack Achilles, but Achilles uses his shield as a weapon (brilliant!) to go for a nose shot on Hector, and they separate. At this point I think Achilles is starting to realize that Hector can almost match him for speed, and decides to wear him down. He goes for his power move...

Jumping spear lunge, straight on Hector's sheild. Hector, stupidly, doesn't dodge it, but absorbs it (maybe because Achilles jumped and he hoped he could divert it? Jumping isn't very common in duels like these, Achilles is also a deceptive fighter.). I'm sure you can guess how much energy shots like that take... and with Achilles you need all the energy you can muster. Achilles then throws a few lunges at key targets (Balls and Neck) Hector smacks them away (the shield power hit making it's point earlier I'm sure), Achilles then starts spinning his spear for slashes, hoping to either hit a small wound shot over Hector's eyes to blind him, or to actually hit something good. Honestly I don't think he was going anywhere with these attacks, just keeping Hector on the run... and he does that very well. Only going for one truely killer shot toward the end, right at Hector's face, which Hector AMAZINGLY dodges and tosses one right back at Achilles with just as much skill. On to my second favorite sequence... the battle of the lunges...

I can't really describe this except to say that both of the warriors seem tired of letting the battle go on, and the engage in a brilliant sequence of lunge, counter, counter-lunge... on and on and on. This sequence REALLY shows how great each warrior is with sheild and spear, and shows that the one that gets slow, or tired first, will lose. At this point it can go either way. Achilles sees this and takes advantage of it after that, swinging his spear BEHIND his head, and locking it onto the top of his sheild. Hector retreats at this, not knowing what the hell Achilles is doing. Achilles takes the advantage again, making Hector absorb yet another HARD lunge to the shield, and then swinging one more out to his side. Hector's getting a bit worried now I think... Achilles is doing things he's never seen before...

But then he gets his opening, He KNOWS Achilles is trying to wear him down, so he opens up for another lunge... and catches Achilles spear. This would be a prime time to kill Achilles, but Achilles is too fast. He sees that Hector's spear is pinned as well as his... and breaks it with his sheild... Then Achilles locks shields with Hector, the have a little push battle, both trying to wear the other down... they separate.

Hector here, proves to me that he is as brave as he is good... he drops his broken spear (which still could have been useful) and chooses to fight with ONLY his shield against Achilles. Awesome. What is better is that he is under pressure now, so fights better than ever. He gets a double grip on his shield, lures Achilles in a lunge, and then DIVERTS Achilles spear into the ground, and breaks it with his foot. Achilles now knows that he is fighting a great warrior. The tactics start to change, Achilles ramps it up a bit. Hector knows that if it isn't over soon... he will die...

Immediately after breaking Achilles' spear he draws his gladius and goes for the throat, Achilles blocks and dodges a few hits before drawing his own gladius and going for Hector's side. Swords and Shield begins...

They are locked together, both trying to wear the other down, Hector goes for Achilles legs (how else to slow this collossus down?) Achilles doesn't even bother to try and counter! He just lets the blow hit on his greaves! And goes for Hector's throat. Hector I'm sure was trying to lure Achilles shield down with the low shot, no joy. We see a little move and counter move again, much like with the spears... before Achilles sees an opening for another power lunge, which of course Hector abosorbs, Achilles doesn't move from his lunge position. Showing that he hit a definative blow... He is letting Hector know his strategy here... and Hector knows that there isn't much he can do about it. Hector knows that he will be REALLY tired soon, so he takes it up a notch.

Another sword and shield event happens. Achilles keeps his shield up and over his head, protecting it from the back. And he spins (Freaking brilliant!) to block high blows, firing off counter attacks with is sword even faster that would be possible otherwise. He is working HARD at wearing Hector down now. Hector is getting a little angry as well, so he gets slightly sloppier... but not by much. More brilliant move and counter move at this point. Hector goes for a thigh stab, Achilles lifts his foot and uses the bottom of his boot to push away Hector's sword (!)... leans in and nails Hector with an elbow to the face. Achilles is now a bit frustrated, Hector isn't tiring very fast. Hector is briefly stunned by the elbow, but backs away enough to ensure he isn't hit with a killer shot... only now does Achilles take his sheild from it's former position behind his back.

He runs at Hector! Dodgeing two blows, and hitting a HARD jumping lunge on Hector's sheild again... Hector visibly tires at this... but shows his bravery and skill by running in again to throw off Achilles. Only now, I think, are the two really matched as both use very brilliant shield blocks and counters on eachother... Hector however gets Achilles stumbling a little, and lands his only definative blow, scratching Achilles armor on the chest... Achilles, for his part, is now POSITIVE that he underestimated Hector. Hector made his biggest mistake here, he let the blow stand. He didn't press his advantage, he may have won if he kept going at Achilles while he was stunned by this shot. But he is tired... it took almost all he had to just get that scratch. Achilles keeps up his previous strategy... wear Hector down...

Achilles opens up, Hector goes for a stab... Achilles CATCHES HECTOR's SWORD INSIDE his sheild... It almost looks as though he's won! But Achilles goes for a stab at Hector, Hector blocks, Achilles kicks him away, and Hector trips on a stone... his sheild's strap breaking as he falls. Achilles will not strike him when he is downed by anything other than a blow FROM Achilles himself... he tells him to get up, and drops his shield as well. My favorite sequence starts... Sword to sword... no shields...

Not really though, Hector landed right next to Achilles' broken spear, and picks it up, he's armed doubly... and uses both well as he charges! Achilles stands his ground, dodges left, then right, and then spins UPSIDE DOWN underneath a blow by Hector, slashing Hector's thigh with an amazing blow. Hector now starts his owns spinning, not letting the blow slow him down, and definately trying to fight off shock. He goes with all he has to try and strike Achilles' legs as well. What Achilles doesn't dodge, he blocks, he even switches hands a time or two... definately slowing Hector down further as he compensates. Hector goes for the Achilles tendon! Achilles simply lifts his leg, lets the blow go under his foot, and steps back. Hector is now tired... but Achilles is breathing heavily as well...

Hector charges, Achilles is now finishing his strategy, he retreats as fast as he can while keeping Hector close to him, dodgeing every blow... often using his free hand to help Hector's swings go OVER their mark... wearing him down further. Hector is so tired at one point, he lowers BOTH his weapons... Achilles is sure Hector is so tired... he simply reaches over, puts his hand on Hector's chest (Dispite the fact that Hector needs only to life one arm to slash Achilles' own arm away) and pushes Hector away. For all intents and purposes... the duel is already over. The great Hector is all but spent...

Achilles struts about for a moment, letting Hector advance, Hector lunges with the spear... Achilles disarms Hector. Taking the spear as his own... spins twice, closing distance, with the second spin he sinks the spear into Hector's shoulder. Checkmate.

Achilles put Hector through the wringer in this fight, and Hector did the same. The duel had to be as tiring mentally as physically. I know I've gone on a bit long winded... but it's what I love. I'm sure in better times, Achilles and Hector would have been great friends... but no doubt a duel as great as this would not have happened. Both men fought brilliantly, both with excellent skill... one of them was merely more effective than the other. The duel was more a question of stamina than skill. Hector matched Achilles own acrobatic style with his more brutal, and to the point style quite well... until he was tired.

Well if you've risked your way through all of this, thanks... I liked making it. Hope you like it... at least a little.

UPDATE
    After watching TROY dozens of times now, I've taken my eyes off Achilles' style, and took a closer look at Hector's style (The fight with Ajax, some Myrmidons... ect.) and I noticed something very telling about Achilles and Hector's sword styles. Let me toss out a comparison; Achilles, is always trying to get 'over' on his opponents, Always trying to strike from the top down (Stabbing Boagrius, his jumping moves, his spinning moves.). Hector, in a complete contrast... is always working from the bottom up, He goes under his opponent's sternum and goes for the heart. After re-inacting the fight yet again with my friend (after much practice... MUCH!), me being Hector this time. It was quite a switch. I didn't really notice Hector's strategy until I discovered this. It's quite an effective style. Achilles seems to have gotten his style from training over and over, and relying on his unorthodox movements, dodges, and speed. Hector, by contrast, learned to fight by fighting, no theory, nothing fancy, just what works. Perhaps the reason Hector lost was because he wasn't used to it taking so long to kill someone in a duel... and yet again, it comes down to stamina.

12. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

The movie wasn't. But the fight scenes with Dan Inosanto and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar were all Bruce Lee. He shot the scenes because he wanted to make a film about a hero who had to fight his way to the top of a pagoda, and wanted them against his friends.

The story leading up to it was done with a double.

13. Twisted Reality

Twisted Reality Packers :ftw:

14. Grouch

Grouch Guest

The Crow.

15. Mugwump

Mugwump Guest

Which scene? The one where he takes on all the crime bosses? That was a damn good gunfight.

16. JR

JR New Member

That's not even the best fight scene in the movie

The end in the temple,where he breaks the guys leg,and then jumps down on the guy with his knees as they fall through the scaffolding

Or when he splits the guy on the motorcycle's helmet and then kicks the guy while his leg is on fire

Ong-Bak is such an incredible action movie,eveyone should see it :bowdown:

17. rosencrantz

rosencrantz Guest

:doh: i stand corrected

18. drinks11

drinks11 I record music.

How could this list have gone on without an awesome fight scene like Play it to the Bone. It's ridiculous.

19. JumboJym69

JumboJym69 New Member

Kiss of the Dragon the whole fucking movie, Jet Li is the shit

20. PRIME

PRIME New Member

Mine favorite was when they kept throwing fighters at him. Yeah...that INCLUDES the chair throwing, fridge pushing guy...but the all those fighters were one long fight.

Tony Jaa > Jet Li

21. TheGrudge

TheGrudge Guest

No one has mentioned the fight scene in Kill Bill Vol. 1 in the House of Leaves?

22. username76

username76 Guest

sounds like you're in love with Brad Pitt :)

23. rosencrantz

rosencrantz Guest

because it wasnt anything new

24. chackrafool

chackrafool New Member

Ong-Bak isn't out yet over here...Where did you see it? I've been dying to see it dammit but its' only out in asia right?

25. turbodude

turbodude Just a photographer OT Supporter

uhhh jackie chan on teh roof in "who am i". or better yet jackie chan vs alan in "gorgeous"